Sahre (pronounced say-er) was born in Johnson City in upstate New York, and received his BFA and MFA degrees from Kent State University. He established New York City based office, Office of Paul Sahre, in 1997 and the office sits above a Dunkin' Donuts on the corner of 6th Avenue and 14th Street in Manhattan.
Sahre's designs for book covers are well-known and includes series by the authors Rick Moody, Ernest Hemingway and Chuck Klosterman. He is a frequent contributor of illustrations to The New York Times, and designed the typeface Fur in 1994. Sahre has also provided illustrations for The Atlantic and Newsweek.
- Fresh Dialogue 1, New Voices in Graphic Design, Christoph Niemann, Nicholas Blechman, Paul Sahre, Paula Scher), Princeton Architectural Press, 2000.
- Hello World: A Life in Ham Radio, Danny Gregory, Paul Sahre, Princeton Architectural Press, 2003.
- Leisurama Now: The Beach House for Everyone 1964–, Paul Sahre, Princeton Architectural Press, 2008.
- Two-Dimensional Man A Graphic Memoir Abrams Press, 2017
- "Brands of the World™ | Download vector logos and logotypes". Stepinsidedesign.com. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "School of Visual Arts > Our Faculty > Sahre Paul". Sva.edu. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Paul Sahre". The Book Cover Archive. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120208022029/http://www.abudnitz.com/covers/Paul_Sahre.html. Archived from the original on February 8, 2012. Retrieved March 12, 2012. Missing or empty
- "Selected Work: Fur Extra-Rounded". Paul Sahre. Archived from the original on 2013-10-14. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Download Fur font family". Linotype.com. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Selected Work: Six Degrees of Monica". Paul Sahre. Archived from the original on 2013-10-14. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Paul Sahre - Authors". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- Jessica Bennett (2010-07-19). "The Beauty Advantage: How Looks Affect Your Work, Your Career, Your Life". Thedailybeast.com. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- Discontent, The Great. "Paul Sahre on The Great Discontent (TGD)". Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- Sahre's website
- The Education of Paul Sahre: Part II, July/August 2005
- Illustrated profile of Sahre online at From Your Desks
- Under Cover and Eating the Dinosaur, online at The New Yorker