This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2021)
"Patricia" is a popular song with music by Pérez Prado and lyrics by Bob Marcucci, published in 1958. The song is best known in an instrumental version by Prado's orchestra that became the last record to ascend to No.1 on the Billboard Jockeys and Top 100 charts, both of which gave way the next week to the then newly-introduced Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song was also No. 1 on the R&B Best Sellers for two weeks. Prado's 1958 recording became a gold record. Billboard ranked it as the No. 5 song for 1958.
Prado's "Patricia" entered the U.S. Cash Box chart week ending June 7, 1958, making No. 1 on that chart for four weeks from the week ending July 26, 1958.
In 1960, Prado released a new stereo recording of the tune, and re-recorded it a third time in a "twist" version issued in 1962 that re-charted in the U.S.
Cover versions and other usages
- The song was featured in the Weebl and Bob flash cartoon.
- The song was covered by a Kenyan group, Kiko Kids, some time in the late 1950s.
- The song was featured in a TV advert for the UK post office.
- The song was featured at several points in Federico Fellini's 1960 film La Dolce Vita, including a segment at a party where the music accompanied a striptease.
- The song was featured as background music for a pool party in the 1969 film Goodbye, Columbus.
- The song was covered by Frank Valdor and His Orchestra and Chorus on the album 16 Fantastic Golden Latin Hits in 1978.
- The tune was sung (badly) by Homer Simpson as he's shaving before a romantic night out in the "Some Enchanted Evening" episode of The Simpsons's first season. The song was also being played by a dance band later in that same episode.
- The song appears in the 1989 movie Great Balls of Fire! during the scene in which Jerry Lee Lewis drives his convertible and proposes marriage to his thirteen-year-old second cousin, Myra Gale.
- The Mambo All Stars’ version of the song was the theme for the 1999 animated series George and Martha.
- The song was used as the theme song to HBO's Real Sex series.
- The song was covered by Link Wray, Duane Eddy, and Rory Parker, and by Ry Cooder on his Grammy winning 2002 album, Mambo Sinuendo.
- The song was used as background music for the swimsuit competition at the 1997 Miss Universe Pageant.
- The song was used in "The British Invasion", Episode 12 from Season 2 of the Showtime series Dexter.
- The song was used as background music in the state financed Danish TV campaign "Fisk 2 gange om ugen".
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 467.
- "patricia | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- "2gangeomugen: 2gangeomugen". 2gangeomugen.dk. Retrieved 27 April 2021.