|Patna High Court|
|पटना उच्च न्यायालय|
|Established||9 February 1916|
|Composition method||Presidential assent on advice of the Chief Justice of India with consultation of Governor of Bihar|
|Authorized by||Constitution of India|
|Appeals to||Supreme Court of India|
|Judge term length||mandatory retirement by age of 62|
|Number of positions||53|
|Currently||Hon'ble Justice Sanjay Karol|
|Since||11 November 2019|
Patna High Court is the High Court of the state of Bihar. It was established on 9 February 1916 and later affiliated under the Government of India Act 1915. The court is headquartered in Patna, the administrative capital of the state.
History of Court
Proclamation made by Governor-General of India on 22 March 1912. The foundation-stone of the High Court Building was laid on Monday, 1 December 1913 by His Excellency the late Viceroy and Governor-General of India, Sir Charles Hardinge of Penshurst. The Patna High Court building on its completion was formally opened by the same Viceroy on 3 February 1916. Hon. Sir Justice Edward Maynard Des Champs Chamier was the first Chief Justice of this High Court. Starting 18 April 2015, the Patna High Court has planned year long centenary celebrations of 100 years of establishment and the occasion was inaugurated by the President of India Shri Pranab Mukherjee chaired by the Governor of Bihar Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi and Chief Justice of India, Justice Mr.H. L. Dattu and the Chief Justice of Patna High Court Justice Mr.L. Narasimha Reddy
- 1912 – Proclamation made by Governor-General of India on 22 March 1912.
- 1913 – Foundation-stone of the High Court Building was laid on 1 December 1913.
- 1916 – Patna High Court building completed on 3 February 1916. The High Court actually commenced work from 1 March 1916.
- 1948 – Patna High Court exercised jurisdiction over the territories of the Province of Bihar & Orissa till 26 July 1948, when a separate High Court was constituted for Orissa.
- 1972 – Patna High Court opened a Circuit Bench at Ranchi.
- 1976 – Circuit Bench of Patna High Court at Ranchi became Permanent Bench.
- 2000 – Circuit Bench of Patna High Court at Ranchi became Jharkhand High Court on November 2000, under the Bihar Reorganisation Act, 2000.
- 2015 – Centenary Celebrations starting 18 April 2015.
Prominent Judges of Patna High Court
- Hon. Ms. Justice Rekha Doshit was the Chief Justice of Patna High Court; and the first woman to hold this coveted office.
- Hon. Sir Edward Maynard Des Champs Chamier is the first Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
- Hon. Pandit Lakshami Kant Jha was the first Indian Chief Justice of Patna High Court after independence.
- Hon. Mrs. Justice Indu Prabha Singh, the first lady judge of Patna High Court, holds the distinction of being the first woman judge to hold court at Patna High Court and its Ranchi Bench.
- Hon. Mrs. Justice Gyan Sudha Misra, the second lady judge of Patna High Court, is the first woman judge of the Supreme Court of India from Bihar.
- This High Court has given two Chief Justices of India, viz.
- Hon. Mr. Justice Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha, the 6th Chief Justice of India ranchi jharkhand
- Hon. Mr. Justice Lalit Mohan Sharma, the 24th Chief Justice of India
|S.No.||Judge Name||Designation||Date of Elevation||Date of Retirement||Source of Recruitment||Remarks|
|1||Sanjay Karol||Chief Justice||8 March 2007||22 August 2023||Bar||CJ, Patna w.e.f. 11-11-19.|
|2||Ashwani Kumar Singh||Judge||20 June 2011||31 October 2022||Bar|
|3||Vikash Jain||Judge||20 June 2011||17 February 2022||Bar|
|4||Ahsanuddin Amanullah||Judge||20 June 2011||10 May 2025||Bar|
|5||Rajendra Kumar Mishra||Judge||20 June 2011||30 September 2021||Service|
|6||Chakradhari Sharan Singh||Judge||5 April 2012||19 January 2025||Bar|
|7||Prabhat Kumar Jha||Judge||21 April 2014||15 July 2021||Service|
|8||Ashutosh Kumar||Judge||15 May 2014||30 September 2028||Bar||Transferred to Delhi High Court on 7 January 2015, Returned to Patna High Court on 24-11-17.|
|9||Sudhir Singh||Judge||15 April 2015||10 December 2027||Bar|
|10||Birendra Kumar||Judge||16 November 2016||22 May 2025||Service|
|11||Arvind Srivastava||Judge||9 December 2016||2024||Service|
|12||Dr. Anil Kumar Upadhyay||Judge||22 May 2017||3 December 2024||Bar|
|13||Rajeev Ranjan Prasad||Judge||22 May 2017||4 September 2028||Bar|
|14||Madhuresh Prasad||Judge||22 May 2017||Oct 2030||Bar|
|15||Mohit Kumar Shah||Judge||22 May 2017||Apr 2031||Bar|
List of the Chief Justices of Patna High Court
|Name of Hon. the Chief Justice||From (dd.mm.yyyy)||To (dd.mm.yyyy)||Comments|
|Hon. Sanjay Karol||11 November 2019||Incumbent||Transferred from Tripura High Court|
|Hon. Amreshwar Pratap Sahi||17 November 2018||10 November 2019||Transferred from Allahabad High Court|
|Hon. Mukesh Shah||12 August 2018||1 November 2018||Elevated to Supreme Court on 2 November 2018|
|Hon. Iqbal A. Ansari||29 August 2016||28 October 2016|
|Hon. L Narasimha Reddy||2 January 2015||31 July 2015|
|Hon. Rekha Manharlal Doshit||21 June 2010||13 December 2014|
|Hon. Shri Dipak Misra||23 December 2009||24 June 2010||Elevated to Supreme Court on 10 October 2011|
|Hon. Shri J. B. Koshy||19 August 2009||16 September 2009|
|Hon. Shri R.M. Lodha||13 May 2008||16 December 2008|
|Hon. Shri Rajesh Balia||5 January 2008||3 March 2008|
|Hon. Dr. J.N. Bhatt||18 July 2005||16 October 2007|
|Hon. Shri Ravi S. Dhavan||25 January 2000||22 July 2004|
|Hon. Shri B.M. Lal||9 July 1997||6 October 1999|
|Hon. Shri D.P. Wadhwa||29 September 1995||21 March 1997|
|Hon. Shri G.P. Patnaik||19 May 1995||11 September 1995|
|Hon. Shri K. Venkataswamy||19 September 1994||6 March 1995|
|Hon. Shri K. S. Paripoornan||24 January 1994||11 June 1994|
|Hon. Shri Bimal Chandra Basak||18 March 1991||21 October 1994|
|Hon. Shri Gangadhar Ganesh Sohani||24 October 1989||17 December 1990|
|Hon. Shri Shushil Kumar Jha||19 October 1989||23 October 1989|
|Hon. Shri Dipak Kumar Sen||1 May 1988||1 May 1989|
|Hon. Shri Bhagwati Prasad Jha||2 January 1988||2 January 1988|
|Hon. Shri Surjit Singh Sandhawalia||29 November 1983||27 July 1987|
|Hon. Shri Krishna Ballabh Narayan Singh||19 July 1976||12 March 1982|
|Hon. Shri Shyam Nandan Prasad Singh||3 October 1974||1 May 1976|
|Hon. Shri Nand Lall Untwalia||29 September 1972||3 October 1974|
|Hon. Shri Ujjal Narayan Sinha||5 September 1970||29 September 1972|
|Hon. Shri Satish Chandra Mishra||9 November 1968||5 September 1970|
|Hon. Shri Ramaswamy Lakshmi Narasimhan||4 January 1965||2 August 1968|
|Hon. Shri Vaidyanathier Ramaswami||30 April 1956||4 January 1965|
|Hon. Shri Sudhansu Kumar Das||10 January 1955||30 April 1956|
|Hon. Shri Syed Jafar Imam||3 September 1953||10 January 1955|
|Hon. Shri David Ezra Reuben||1 June 1952||2 September 1953|
|Hon. Pandit Lakshami Kant Jha||8 April 1950||1 June 1952|
|Hon. Sir Herbert Ribton Meredith||25 January 1950||8 April 1950|
|Hon. Sir Clifford Monmohan Agarwala||9 January 1948||24 January 1950|
|Hon. Sir Syed Fazl Ali||19 January 1943||14 October 1946|
|Hon. Sir Arthur Trevor Harries||10 October 1938||19 January 1943|
|Hon Justice Kulwant Sahay||27 November 1922||22 January 1934|
|Hon. Sir Courtney Terrell||31 March 1928||6 May 1938|
|Hon. Sir Thomas Fredrick Dawson Miller||31 October 1917||31 March 1928|
|Hon. Sir Edward Maynard Des Champs Chamier||1 March 1916||30 October 1917|
Former Puisne Judges
Former Puisne Judges of the Court include:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Patna High Court.|