|Studio album by|
|Recorded||February 16 & 17, 1998|
|Studio||Spirit Room, Rossie, New York|
|Producer||Robert D. Rusch|
|Kahil El'Zabar chronology|
Papa's Bounce is an album by Ethnic Heritage Ensemble, a jazz band formed by percussionist Kahil El'Zabar, who is joined by trombonist Joseph Bowie, saxophonist Ernest Dawkins and percussionist 'Atu' Harold Murray. It was recorded in 1998 and released on CIMP.
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
In his review for AllMusic, Steve Loewy notes: "Much of the album is surprisingly low volume, immersed in delightfully tranquil sounds. The group never forgets its mission, though, and even when playing in low gear, the creative sparks fly."
The All About Jazz review by Derek Taylor says: "As a whole this disc radiates a love and respect for African traditions that will enrich the ears of any listener willing to explore it’s bountiful expanses."
- All compositions by Kahil El'Zabar
- "Papa's Bounce" – 14:32
- "Dance'm" – 6:10
- "Song of My Self" – 10:01
- "Blue Rwanda" – 11:08
- "Spirit Dancer" – 10:14
- "Indestructible Consciousness" – 8:58
- "Sunshine Serenade" – 9:21
- Kahil El'Zabar – drums, voice, thumb piano
- Ernest Dawkins – alto sax, tenor sax, percussion
- Joseph Bowie – trombone, percussion, voice
- 'Atu' Harold Murray – percussion, vaccine
- Loewy, Steve. Ethnic Heritage Ensemble – Papa's Bounce: Review at AllMusic. Retrieved January 6, 2016.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2002). The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (6th ed.). London: Penguin. p. 470. ISBN 0140515216.
- Taylor, Derek. Papa's Bounce review at All About Jazz