Padawan Municipal Council
Majlis Perbandaran Padawan
|Local Authority Ordinance 1948|
|Founded||1 August 1996|
Lo Khere Chiang
|Cekap, Bersih, Selamat, Makmur |
(Efficient, Clean, save, and Prosperous)
|Kota Padawan, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia|
|Formerly known as Kuching Rural District Council|
Padawan Municipal Council (Malay: Majlis Perbandaran Padawan) (MPP or PMC) is a local authority which administers Padawan municipality of the Kuching District, Sarawak, Malaysia. The agency is under the purview of Sarawak Ministry of Local Government and Community Development. MPP headquarters is located at Kota Padawan, Kuching. The council aimed to improve infrastructure development and provide quality services to its residents besides preserving the environment.
Kuching Rural District Council (KRDC)
Kuching Rural District Council (KRDC) was formed in 1956 during the colonial era. From 1957 to 1961, the district officer would become the chairman of the council. From 1962 to 1981, elections would be held for a new chairman. However, starting from 1 November 1981, new chairman would be appointed by the Sarawak state government.
Padawan Municipal Council (PMC)
On 1 August 1996, KRDC was elevated to Padawan Municipal Council, 40 years after the formation of KRDC. Municipal secretary would be chief executive officer and warrant holder of the council.
Padawan Municipal Council administers an area of 1,432 km2 (553 sq mi) which covers mainly the Kuching outskirts with a population of 306,000 consists of Bidayuh, Chinese, Malay and Iban ethnic groups. The main source of revenue for the council is the assessment tax (a local property tax that based on the annual rental value of the property). A total of RM 15 million assessment tax has been collected as on 1 January 2006.
The council has six standing committees namely:
- Finance and Establishment Standing Committee
- General Purposes and Community Services Standing Committee
- Public Health, Environmental Protection and Council Services Standing Committee
- Market, Licensing, Hawkers and Petty Traders Standing Committee
- Traffic, Infrastructure Development, Building Plans and Town Planning Standing Committee
- Landscape and Tourism Standing Committee
The council has nine popular tourist spots namely:
- Annah Rais Longhouse
- Pelaman Dunuk Longhouse
- Bunuk Longhouse
- Taman Jubilee Mas
- Pitcher Plant And Wild Orchid Garden
- Kampung Telaga Air
- Borneo Highland Resort
- Semenggok Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre (WRC)
- Kubah National Park
- "Official Website of Ministry of Local Government and Community Development". Ministry of Local Government and Community Development. Ministry of Local Government and Community Development. 3 September 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- "Message From Padawan Municipal Council's Chairman". Official website of Padawan Municipal Council. Padawan Municipal Council. 2 October 2014. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "Council profile". Official website of Padawan Municipal Council. Padawan Municipal Council. 9 February 2020. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- "Councillorship System". Official website of Padawan Municipal Council. Padawan Municipal Council. 9 February 2020. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- "Tourist Spot Information". Official website of Padawan Municipal Council. Padawan Municipal Council. 9 February 2020. Retrieved 9 February 2020.