This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017)
|• Local Government Chairman||Nwaogu Akara (PDP)|
|• Deputy Local Government Chairman||Juliana Ngozi Okorie (PDP)|
|• Local Government Council||Ward 1: Kenneth Ogbuokwe (PDP)|
Ward 2: Nwogu Ihejika (PDP)
Ward 3: Kenneth Enyeribeokere (PDP)
Ward 4: Ekeke L. Nkemjika (PDP)
Ward 5: Rejoice Nwankwo (PDP)
Ward 6: John Chinedu Moses (PDP)
Ward 7: Mrs Adele Goodness Nneoma (PDP)
Ward 8: Felix Nwogu (PDP)
Ward 9: Oyegorom G. Chukwudi (PDP)
Ward 10: Amache Nwakanma (PDP)
|Time zone||UTC+1 (WAT)|
Oil and gas exploration
Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) operates an oil well in the LGA. Eastern Network Gas Pipeline (Alscon pipeline) passes through Oyigbo in the north.:5 Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC and the Rivers State Government under Gov. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi pledged to work together to restore production activities at the Shell Petroleum Development Company, SPDC operated Oyigbo Gas Plant. On November 1, 2013, citing considerable health and safety risk to people, Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd (SPDC), JV shut down Oyigbo gas plant over encroachment on the right-of-way of gas pipelines.
On June 28, 2015, SPDC JV's announced that its Afam VI located in Okoloma village of Oyigbo had delivered 20 million MWh of electricity into the national grid and created over 150 jobs.
- Odimegwu Onwumere (31 Oct 2008). "Grassroots Politics, Precious Oforji's Example". Modern Ghana Media Communication Limited. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- Prince Oswald Nwaji (July 22, 2009). "Peaceful Oyigbo". The Port Harcourt Telegraph. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- Odimegwu Onwumere (12 Dec 2008). "Shell Neglects Shell Road In Oyigbo L.G. A". Modern Ghana Media Communication Limited. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- "Role of Nigerian Gas Company in the Nigerian Electricity Industry" (PDF). nipptransactions.com. June 2013.
- "NNPC, Rivers Government Move to Resuscitate Oyigbo Gas Plant". nnpcgroup.com.
- "SPDC JV shuts down Obigbo gas plant over encroachment on the right-of-way of gas pipelines". shell.com.ng.
- "SPDC JV's Afam VI delivers 20million MWh electricity into national grid…creates over 150 jobs". shell.com.ng.