This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)
|Motto||Dysg Dawn Daioni|
(Learning Talent Goodness)
|Opened||3 September 1969|
|Age||11 to 19|
|Enrolment||1,700 - February 2018|
|Colour(s)||Blue and red|
Olchfa School (Welsh: Ysgol Gyfun yr Olchfa) is the largest comprehensive school in Swansea, South Wales, with approximately 1,700 pupils, including 357 in the Sixth Form. Situated in Sketty Park to the west of Sketty, it provides secondary education for GCSE and tertiary education leading to A-Level qualifications.
Around 12% of pupils have a special educational need and 1.7% have a statement of special educational needs. Both of these figures are below the Welsh averages of 21.5% and 2% respectively. Nearly a quarter of pupils come from an ethnic minority background and just over 20% speak English as an additional language.
In its most recent Estyn inspection in 2018, Olchfa School received the highest possible judgement, 'Excellent' in all five inspection areas. In the same year, the school reported a GCSE pass rate of 83% (based on 5 GCSEs, grades A*-C), placing it in the top six schools in Wales.
The school consists of different sections - the main building, a south block, P.E. department as well as a maths and science block. The school also consists of smaller demountable classrooms throughout the plot that teach a variety of subjects. There is also an on-site specialist facility supporting the needs of hearing impaired pupils.
Notable former pupils
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (March 2019)
- Daniel Alfei, Current Yeovil Town FC Football player.
- Simon Davey, former footballer and football manager
- Nerys Jefford, High Court judge
- Aaron Lewis, Football player.
- Russell T Davies, television writer
- Andrew Dilnot, Warden of Nuffield College, Oxford
- Joe Dunthorne, poet and author
- Stephen Harris, rock musician with stage name "Kid Chaos"
- David Hemp, cricketer
- Heather Nicholson, animal rights activist
- Richie Rees, rugby player
- Ellie Simmonds OBE, Paralympian swimmer
- Georgia Henshaw, actress
- Andrew Jones (filmmaker)
- "Olchfa School | Estyn". www.estyn.gov.wales. Retrieved 25 August 2020.
- "Shooting of movie adaptation surreal experience for writer", "This is South Wales", 20 November 2009, accessed 24 August 2011.