The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for academics. (October 2020)
Nwola Oluwakemi Uduku
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge (PhD) |
University of Strathclyde (MBA)
|Institutions||Manchester School of Architecture |
University of Edinburgh
|Thesis||Factors affecting the design of secondary schools in Nigeria (1992)|
Ola Uduku is a British African architect who is Head of School at the Manchester School of Architecture. Uduku is a member of the Nigerian Institute of Architects and the Royal Institute of British Architects. She specialises in African educational architecture.
Early life and education
Uduku is from Nigeria. She attended Federal Government Girls' College, Owerri. She studied architecture at the University of Nigeria, where she worked toward a master's degree in the design of solar housing in the Tropics. She moved to the United Kingdom for her graduate studies. Uduku earned her doctoral degree at the University of Cambridge, where she researched factors that impacted the design of schools in Nigeria. After earning her doctorate, Uduku completed her qualifying examinations at the Royal Institute of British Architects. She was appointed to the faculty at the Edinburgh College of Art.
Research and career
A few years later Uduku joined the University of Strathclyde, where she earned an Master of Business Administration. Uduku served as Associate Professor in Architecture and Dean for Africa at the University of Edinburgh. Her research considers educational architecture in Africa.
In 2001 Uduku became a founding member of ArchiAfrika, a nonprofit which looks to improve contemporary architectural history in Africa. She created an exhibition at the Manchester School of Art which explored the Alan Vaughan-Richards archive.
In 2017 Uduku was appointed Professor of Architecture in the Manchester School of Architecture. Here she leads graduate research programmes in urbanism, heritage and conservation. She founded EdenAppLabs, a team of researchers who are looking at the use of mobile apps for environmental design.
- Uduku, Ola (2015). "Designing schools for quality: An international, case study-based review" (PDF). International Journal of Educational Development. 44: 56–64. doi:10.1016/j.ijedudev.2015.05.005. hdl:20.500.11820/4ca1a08a-4cc4-44fc-a43c-925361be5a84. ISSN 0738-0593.
- Uduku, Ola, 1963- (1999). Beneficial urban redevelopment : a Cape Town - Liverpool comparison. [publisher not identified]. OCLC 870086309.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Jackson, Iain; Uduku, Ola; Appeaning Addo, Irene; Assasie Opong, Rexford (2019-05-19). "The Volta River Project: planning, housing and resettlement in Ghana, 1950–1965". The Journal of Architecture. 24 (4): 512–548. doi:10.1080/13602365.2019.1643389. ISSN 1360-2365. S2CID 202276595.
- Uduku, Ola (2018-06-14). Learning Spaces in Africa. Routledge. doi:10.4324/9781315576749. ISBN 978-1-315-57674-9.
- Bagaeen, Samer. Uduku, Ola, 1963- (2015). Beyond gated communities. ISBN 978-0-415-74824-7. OCLC 899949706.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Bagaeen, Samer. Uduku, Ola. (2013). Gated Communities : Social Sustainability in Contemporary and Historical Gated Developments. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-83041-6. OCLC 829427872.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Uduku, Nwola (1993). Factors affecting the design of secondary schools in Nigeria. University of Cambridge. OCLC 557315012.
- "Ola Uduku - Edinburgh Research Explorer". www.research.ed.ac.uk. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- "Uduku, NWOLA., COLLINS, MICHAEL., 2014 - Exhibition: Alan Vaughan Richards Archive – Manchester School of Art". www.art.mmu.ac.uk. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- "Professor Ola Uduku – Manchester School of Architecture". www.msa.ac.uk. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- Welt, Haus der Kulturen der (2019-11-25). "Contributors: Ola Uduku". HKW. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- "EdenAppLabs – Manchester School of Architecture". www.msa.ac.uk. Retrieved 2020-09-04.