|Directed by||Ramesh Selvan|
|Produced by||K. C. Ravidhevan|
|Edited by||A. Marish|
|Music by||Sam D. Raj|
Dream World Cinemas
Nungambakkam is a 2020 Indian Tamil-language drama film directed by Ramesh Selvan. Based on the Swathi murder case, the film features Ajmal, Mano and Ayra in leading roles. The film completed its shoot in 2017 but faced production and legal delays before releasing on 30 October 2020 through a digital platform.
- Ajmal as Inspector Shankar
- Praveenkumar Mano as Rajkumar
- Ayra as Sumathi
- A. Venkatesh as Advocate Durai
- G. Gnanasambandam as a Lawyer
- R. N. R. Manohar as Director General of Police
- Rajkanth as Police inspector
- Munnar Ramesh as Jailer Shanmuga Pandian
- Ganesh as Commissioner of Police
- S. V. Thangaraj as Sivakumar
Director Ramesh Selvan and writer R. B. Ravi scripted the film Swathi Kolai Vazhaku on the Swathi murder case. Rookie actors Ayra and Mano from Koothu-P-Pattarai have were cast to play Swathi and Ramkumar, respectively, while Ajmal was signed to play the role of the Nungambakkam inspector investigating the murder, and A. Venkatesh reprised the role of Ramraj, Ramkumar's lawyer. After completing shoot in early 2017, a trailer was released by actors Vishal and Arya in May 2017.
The father of Swathi and the brother of Ramkumar expressed their objections to the film, prompting Ramesh to change the script, character names and title to Nungambakkam. The censor board made a series of further cuts, prompting the team to reshoot more scenes. The film was delayed even further after politician Thol. Thirumavalavan raised an objection to the film's release for portraying dalits in a demeaning manner. He opted to drop his case after a special screening.
- Staff Reporter (30 May 2017). "Movie based on Swathi murder case" – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Swathi Kolai Vazhaku: Film based on infamous Nungambakkam murder faces legal hurdles - Entertainment News , Firstpost". Firstpost. 2 June 2017.
- "Trailer of 'Nungambakkam' based on real life murder case of Swathi". The Times of India. 23 May 2018. Retrieved 20 June 2021.
- "Swathi Kolai Vazhakku trailer: Sensational murder case makes its way to the big screen". The New Indian Express.
- Madhav, Pramod (7 June 2017). "Swathi Kolai Valaku: Swathi's father files complaint against director Ramesh Selvan". India Today. Retrieved 20 June 2021.
- "Nungambakkam to have digital release soon". Deccan Chronicle. 16 October 2020.
- Subramanian, Anupama (23 July 2019). "Thiruma gives clean chit to Nungambakkam". Deccan Chronicle.
- "'Nungambakkam' movie set to release after long struggle". The New Indian Express.
- "'Nungambakkam', a film based on Swathi murder!". Sify.
- "Nungambakkam: The controversy-stricken film on Swathi murder case to get OTT release". The New Indian Express.
- "Film on Swathi murder case, 'Nungambakkam' set for OTT release". The News Minute. 16 October 2020.