This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown|
|Directed by||Michael Jai White|
|Written by||Chris Hauty|
by Chris Hauty
|Music by||David Wittman|
|Edited by||Debra Weinfeld|
|Distributed by||Stage 6 Films|
Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown (also known as The Fighters 2: The Beatdown) is a 2011 American martial arts film starring Evan Peters, Michael Jai White, Dean Geyer, Alex Meraz, Todd Duffee, Scott Epstein and Jillian Murray. It is a sequel to the 2008 film Never Back Down. The film made its world premiere at the ActionFest film festival in Asheville, North Carolina, on April 8, 2011. The film was released on DVD on September 13, 2011, from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The film marks White's directorial debut.
Max Cooperman is a charge of another upcoming fight at the underground event "The Beatdown", and four fighters are training in a vacant lot under very-experienced martial artist Case Walker: Zack Gomes, who recently quit boxing after sustaining a partially detached retina from a match; MMA fighter Tim Newhouse, whose family is in debt following the death of his father; Mike Stokes, a college student dealing with issues of his father leaving his mother for another man; and Justin Epstein, a comic book store clerk who is the frequent target of bullying. Max offers Case the chance to make some money and at the same time, help him promote the Beatdown. A few weeks into training, the four trainees argue over their reasons for training and deserving to be there more, the worst of it being Justin and Zack hurting each other physically, leaving them to settle it themselves. Later on, Case is harassed by police officers, who threaten him for violating his probation. Because of this, the team builds a new gym where they can train and hold the Beatdown tournament.
Danger strikes when Justin snaps from constant bullying, goes rogue and decides to not only attack his personal enemies but also the group itself by framing their mentor and setting him up to go to jail. The rest of the group, in revenge, band together and take on Justin at the Beatdown. With each facing their own trials to reach the final match, it comes down to only one of them versus their own. Mike defeats Zack, while Justin injures Tim in the restroom, thus eliminating him from the tournament. In the tournament finals, Mike engages Justin in a grueling fight until he wins by breaking Justin's right shoulder via an Omoplata submission hold. Justin attempts to retaliate by jumping Mike from behind, but Mike counters with a superman punch to the face. As Mike and his girlfriend Eve celebrate his win, he finally calls his father and ask him to go out to dinner because they have a lot to talk about. Case gets a call from "Big" John McCarthy and confirms his return to MMA.
- Evan Peters as Max Cooperman
- Dean Geyer as Mike Stokes
- Alex Meraz as Zack Gomes
- Todd Duffee as Tim Newhouse
- Scott Epstein as Justin Epstein
- Jillian Murray as Eve
- Michael Jai White as Case Walker
- Laura Cayouette as Vale
- Lyoto Machida as Himself
- "Big" John McCarthy as Himself
- Eddie Bravo as D.J. Bravo
Filming started in September 2010 and finished in November 2010 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. On a budget of $3 million, the film was shot in four weeks, and the rehearsals took two weeks. The fights were choreographed by Larnell Stovall.
- Rular Rah – "It's Supposed To Happen"
- Rular Rah – "The Freshest"
- Joe Jackson feat. Skratch Music – "Super Star"
- Stephen R. Phillips & Tim P. – "Lick My Plate"
- Tucker Jameson & The Hot Mugs – "Train Tracks"
- Rick Balentine – "1st Attack of the Marms"
- Willknots – "Perfect Day"
- Startisan – "Just"
- For The Taking – "Time is Running Out"
- Justyna Kelley – "Fall Into You"
- Stereo Black – "Inside"
- Metaphor the Great & Jonathan Jackson – "Doo Doo Butt"
- Kritical – "Are You Ready For This"
- Pre-Fight Hype – "It's Goin Down"
- Robert Fortune – "Cadillac"
- The Resistors – "UTA"
- For The Taking – "Takedown"
- Rular Rah – "Only If You Knew"
- Compella and The Twister – "Are You Ready"
- Cody B. Ware – "#33 Forever"[A]
- Tucker Jameson & The Hot Mugs – "Last Train Home"
- Compella and The Twister – "Dropped"
- A ^"#33 Forever" by Cody B. Ware is mistitled as "Are You Ready" in the DVD credits.
A sequel, titled Never Back Down: No Surrender, was released on June 7, 2016, and began filming in Thailand in June 2015 again under the direction of White, who also reprises his role as Case Walker. The film also stars Esai Morales, MMA fighter Josh Barnett, Tony Jaa, former professional wrestler Nathan Jones and Gillian Waters.
- "Fastlane NextGen: Initial Certification Search" (Type "Never Back Down" in the search box). Louisiana Economic Development. Retrieved May 10, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Morales, Wilson (September 13, 2011). "Never Back Down 2: An exclusive interview with Michael Jai White". BlackFilm.com. Retrieved January 22, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Larnell Stovall's Twitter status from Aug 28, 2011 Twitter. August 28, 2011. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- "On set today, knocking out a few scenes with some of the awesome cast of Never Back Down 3". June 23, 2015.