|Founded at||Washington, DC|
|Type||501(c)(3) nonprofit organization|
|ADM William J. Fallon, USN (Ret.) (Chair)|
The Naval Historical Foundation, a nonprofit organization founded in 1926, has a broad mission to preserve and promote the naval history of the United States by supporting official Sea Services programs and institutions, meeting the needs of the public for naval history, and collecting historical items. The foundation is located at the Washington Navy Yard, in Washington, D.C.
The Commodore Dudley W. Knox Naval History Lifetime Achievement Award was established by the Naval Historical Foundation in Washington, D.C., to honor the memory of the naval historian Commodore Dudley W. Knox and to recognize the lifetime achievements of historians of the United States Navy.
Knox Award recipients
- 2013 James C. Bradford, William N. Still, Jr., Philip K. Lundeberg
- 2014 John Hattendorf, Craig L. Symonds, William S. Dudley, Harold D. Langley.
- 2015 Dean C. Allard, Thomas J. Cutler, Kenneth J. Hagan
- 2016 Christopher McKee
- 2017 Jon Sumida, Paul Stillwell, Edward Marolda
- 2019 Tyrone G. Martin, Norman Polmar, David Curtis Skaggs, Jr.
Pull Together is the official newsletter of the Naval Historical Foundation. Articles cover all aspects of American naval history, including narrative and eyewitness accounts of naval battles and operations, biographical studies, announcements of upcoming events, book notices and reviews. The editorial staff welcomes article submissions.
- Chairman: ADM William J. Fallon, USN (Ret.)
- Executive Director: RADM Edward Masso, USN (Ret.)
- Mr. Matthew P. Bergman
- Mr. Martin Bollinger
- The Honorable Kenneth J. Braithwaite, II
- VADM Walter E. Carter, Jr., USN (Ret.)
- Dr. Kate C. Epstein
- ADM James G. Foggo III, USN (Ret.)
- RADM Vincent L. Griffith, USN (Ret.)
- RADM Sinclair Harris, USN (Ret.)
- Dr. Henry J. Hendrix II, Capt., USN (Ret.)
- The Honorable Steven S. Honigman
- Mr. James D. Hornfischer
- Mr. Roger A. Krone
- The Honorable John F. Lehman, Jr.
- RADM Larry R. Marsh, USN (Ret.)
- CAPT James A. Noone, USNR (Ret.)
- VADM Frank C. Pandolfe, USN (Ret.)
- The Honorable BJ Penn
- Dr. David A. Rosenberg, CAPT, USN (Ret.)
- Mr. Michael J. Wallace
- ADM Austin M. Knight, USN (Ret.) 1926-1927
- VADM William L. Rodgers, USN (Ret.) 1927-1943
- ADM Joseph Strauss, USN (Ret.) 1943-1946
- FADM Ernest J. King, USN (Ret.) 1946-1949
- FADM William D. Leahy, USN (Ret.) 1949-1959
- COMO Dudley W. Knox, USN (Ret.) 1959-1961
- VADM John F. Shafroth Jr., USN (Ret.) 1961-1967
- VADM Walter S. DeLany, USN (Ret.) 1967-1980
- ADM James L. Holloway III, USN (Ret.) 1980-1998
- VADM Robert F. Dunn, USN (Ret.) 1998-2012
- RADM John T. Mitchell, Jr., USN (Ret.) 2012- 2016
- RDML Arthur N. Langston, III, USN (Ret.) 2016-2019
- ADM Robert B. Carney, USN (Ret.) 1961-1981
- ADM Arleigh A. Burke, USN (Ret.) 1981-1985
- RADM Elliott B. Strauss, USN (Ret.) 1985-1998
- ADM James L. Holloway III, USN (Ret.) 1998-2008
- ADM Bruce DeMars, USN (Ret.) 2008-2015
- "Bradford, Still, and Lundeberg to receive Inaugural Knox Honor", Pull Together, vol. 52, no. 2 (Summer 2013), pp. 12-13.
- David E. Winkler, "Naval Historians to Receive Knox Award Honors," (joint issue) The Daybook, vol. 17, no 3 and Pull Together, vol 53, no 3 (Summer 2014), pp. 12-13
- "2015 Dudley W. Knox Medal Recipients", Pull Together, vol. 54, no. 3 (Summer 2015), p. A-5
- "2017 Knox Naval History Award Winners Announced". Naval Historical Foundation. June 12, 2017. Retrieved December 24, 2017.
- Pull Together: Newsletter of the Naval Historical Foundation, vo. 58, no. 1 (Summer 2019), pp. 9-11