Nariman A. Irani
|Died||10 December 1977|
|Occupation||cinematographer, film producer|
|Known for||Don (1978)|
Nariman A. Irani (? - 10 December 1977) was a Bollywood cinematographer and film producer. He is most known for producing Don (1978) made under his banner Nariman Films and for his work as cinematographer in Chhailla Babu(1977). He died in an accident, even before Don was even completed, eventually the film was a big hit and led to the Don film franchise.
As a cinematographer he is known for his films like Talash, Saraswatichandra and Phool Aur Patthar, Roti Kapada Aur Makaan and Chhailla Babu. He won the 16th National Film Awards for Best Cinematography (B & W) for Saraswatichandra (1968)., he also won the Filmfare Award for Best Cinematographer in the same year.
The cinematographer Nariman Irani, while working Chhailla Babu decided to borrow most of the plot of Chhailla Babu and shared a modified story idea to Chandra Barot, who made the new modified story as the film Don (1978). While Don was still under production, he was badly hurt, when after a sudden cloudburst in November 1977, a wall fell on him while he was preparing to take a shot for another film at Rajkamal Kalamandir studios, Mumbai during the making of Manojj Kumar's Kranti. A wall collapsed on him and he suffered a hip bone injury. Though he was hospitalised, but died a few days later.
- Sone Ki Chidiya (1958)
- Manzil (1960)
- Rustom Sohrab (1963)
- Phool Aur Patthar (1966)
- Bahu Begum (1967)
- Saraswatichandra (1968)
- Talash (1969)
- Shor (1972)
- Roti Kapada Aur Makaan (1974)
- Chhailla Babu (1977)
- Immaan Dharam (1977)
- Don (1978)
- Dostana (1980)
- Zeenat: I think Vijay is missing Rediff.com, Movies, 27 October 2006.
- "Don 2 runs into legal maze by Nariman Films". The Economic Times. 12 November 2011.
- Times of India, Entertainment. "National Awards Winners 1968: Complete list of winners of National Awards 1968". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Archived from the original on 12 May 2021. Retrieved 11 August 2021.
- "16th National Film Awards". International Film Festival of India. Archived from the original on 20 October 2012.
- "16th National Film Awards (PDF)" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals.
- List of Filmfare Award Winners and Nominations, 1953–2005
- rediff.com: An exclusive interview with Chandra Barot, who made the first Don Rediff.com, 16 October 2006.
- "SMT. SALMA IRANI v. FIFTH INCOME-TAX OFFICER | Income Tax Appellate Tribunal | Judgment | Law | CaseMine". www.casemine.com. Retrieved 1 April 2020.
- "Don producers make a comeback". The Times of India. 11 May 2011. Archived from the original on 11 April 2013. Retrieved 8 February 2013.