Museo de Am��rica
|Type||Artistic, archaeological and ethnographic|
|Owner||General State Administration|
|Official name||Museo de América|
The Museum of the Americas (Spanish: Museo de América) in Madrid, Spain is a national museum that holds artistic, archaeological and ethnographic collections from the whole Americas, ranging from the Paleolithic period to the present day.
It is owned by the Spanish State and its initial pieces came from the former collection of American archaeological and ethnographic artifacts from the National Archaeological Museum, also exhibiting a number of unrelated donations, deposits and purchases.
The institution was founded via a decree from 19 April 1941 and opened in 1944 inside the building hosting the National Archaeological Museum. After all the initial pieces were moved to a newly built premises in the Ciudad Universitaria, the building was thus inaugurated on 12 October 1965. After a series of refurbishment works on the building (previously shared with a number of unrelated institutions), the museum was reopened on 12 October 1994, this time while holding the exclusivity on the use of the building.
The permanent exhibit is divided into five major thematic areas:
- An awareness of the Americas
- The reality of the Americas
Ceramic vessel representing a crustacean. Moche culture artwork from Peru.
Chimú vessel showing a sexual act between men.
Aztec Codex Tudela
- Museo Nacional de Antropología (Madrid), also featuring American pieces
- García Sáiz & Jiménez Villalba 2009, p. 84.
- Krizmanics 2018, p. 40.
- García Sáiz & Jiménez Villalba 2009, p. 89.
- García Sáiz & Jiménez Villalba 2009, p. 90.
- García Sáiz & Jiménez Villalba 2009, p. 99.
- García Sáiz & Jiménez Villalba 2009, p. 95.
- García Sáiz & Jiménez Villalba 2009, p. 112.
- García Sáiz & Jiménez Villalba 2009, p. 91.
- "Vasija Nazca". Ministerio de Cultura y Deporte.
- García Sáiz, Mª Concepción; Jiménez Villalba, Félix (2009). "Museo de América, mucho más que un museo" (PDF). Artigrama. Zaragoza: Universidad de Zaragoza. 24: 83–118. ISSN 0213-1498.
- Krizmanics, Georg T. A. (2018). "El Museo de América de Madrid: ¿un instrumento para la política exterior española?". A contracorriente. 15 (2): 39–61.
Media related to Museo de América (Madrid) at Wikimedia Commons