|Muncie Central High School|
801 North Walnut Street
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Muncie Community Schools|
|Faculty||75.06 (on a FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||17.87|
Muncie Central High School (MCHS) in Muncie, Indiana is a public high school. As of the 2013–14 school year, it had 913 students. Opened in 1868, the school is today part of the Muncie Community Schools Corp.
Opened in 1868, Muncie High School produced a first graduating class of six students.[where?] In 1881, the school was renamed Muncie Central High School, and in 1915 it moved to a four-story building on South High Street in Muncie. In the early 1920s, it was one of Indiana's first schools to adopt a mascot.
In 1974, the school moved to its present location on Walnut Street in downtown Muncie. The school was originally open concept with almost no interior walls, but it has since been remodeled to a traditional format.
The Muncie boys team won the Indiana High School Boys Basketball Tournament (IHSAA) in 1928, 1931, 1951, 1952, 1963, 1978, 1979 and 1988. The boys team won the IHSAA cross country tournament in 1956, 1958 and 1967. The girls volleyball team won the state tournament in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005 and 2010.
- Mary Jane Croft: America Actress best known for her roles as Betty Ramsey on I Love Lucy, Ms. Daisy Enright on Our Miss Brooks, Mary Jane Lewis on The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy, and Clara Randolph on The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.
- Ron Bonham: basketball player, 1960 Indiana Mr. Basketball, 2-time NCAA national champion with University of Cincinnati, drafted by Boston Celtics in 1964, 2-time NBA champion
- Jim Davis: basketball player for University of Colorado, selected 27th overall in 1964 NBA Draft, played for Atlanta Hawks, Houston Rockets and Detroit Pistons.
- Ryan Kerrigan: linebacker for NFL's Washington Redskins, former Muncie Central and Purdue standout, selected 16th by Washington in 2011 NFL Draft
- William "Pete" Lee: Super Heavyweight Greco-Roman wrestler in 1976 Summer Olympics, placed 5th
- Ray McCallum: two-time state basketball champion at Muncie Central; one of only two retired basketball jerseys for Ball State; selected by Indiana Pacers in 1983 NBA draft; head basketball coach of University of Detroit 2008-16
- Bonzi Wells: basketball player for NBA's Portland Trail Blazers, Memphis Grizzlies, Sacramento Kings, Houston Rockets and New Orleans Hornets
- "All‐Time IHSAA State Championships by School" (pdf). IHSAA. 1 May 2019. Retrieved 23 June 2019.
- Pete Lee Bio, Stats, and Results | Olympics at Sports-Reference.com
- Official website
- Muncie Community Schools High School Consolidation Records Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries (PDF)
- Muncie High School Consolidation Oral History Project Digital Media Repository, Ball State University Libraries