|Owner(s)||Elliott Midland Newspapers Pty Ltd|
|Founded||13 May 1854|
|Headquarters||29 Templeton Street, Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia.|
The Castlemaine Mail continued the Mount Alexander Mail (also the Mail). It was published daily from 1 October 1917 until 14 November 1942, then tri-weekly until 13 July 1979, and later as a weekly, published on Tuesdays. Earlier newspapers in Castlemaine included the Castlemaine Yarner and Digger’s Gazette published on the goldfields in December 1853, and the daily Leader which ceased publication on 12 February 1916.
Castlemaine Mail covered the Mount Alexander Shire including Castlemaine, Maldon, Newstead and Metcalfe. Its office is at 29 Templeton Street, Castlemaine. Circulation in July 2008 was advertised as 3,250. It was merged with Guardian express to form the Midland Express (Kyneton, Victoria) but the masthead continues to be published every Friday as the Castlemaine Mail and circulated in Castlemaine and surrounds.
The paper has been digitised as part of the Australian Newspapers Digitisation Program of the National Library of Australia.
- Delaney, Brigid (8 October 2018). "Reading the small print: rural papers defy the odds in a sea of job losses". The Guardian Australia. The Guardian Australia. Retrieved 3 June 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hughes, Sue (2003). "A Gazetteer of Newspapers from the Central Victorian Goldfields (1851-1901)" (PDF). Johnstone Centre Report. Albury, N.S.W.: The Johnstone Centre, Charles Sturt University. p. 6. ISBN 1 86467 147 5. Retrieved 12 February 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Kirkpatrick, Rod (2010). The Bold Type: A history of Victoria's country newspapers, 1840-2010. Ascot Vale, Vic: The Victorian Country Press Association. p. 127. ISBN 9780977556229.
- "Castlemaine Mail". Victorian Country Press Association. Victorian Country Press Association. 2008. Archived from the original on March 29, 2008. Retrieved 12 February 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-08-28. Retrieved 2017-08-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)