This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Minority Rights Group International (MRG) is an international human rights organisation founded with the objective of working to secure rights for ethnic, national, religious and linguistic minorities and indigenous peoples around the world. Their headquarters are in London, with offices in Budapest and Kampala. MRG has an international governing Council that meets twice a year. MRG has consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and observer status with the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights.
The organisation was set up in 1969 by a group of activists and academics "who feel a special concern that the rights of minorities to preserve and develop their cultural integrity are being infringed in many countries ... the MRG has been established to protect the rights of minorities to co-exist with majorities, by objective study and consistent international public exposure of violations of fundamental rights as defined by the UN Charter". Its first director was David Astor, editor and proprietor of The Observer newspaper at the time.
MRG raises funds for its work from individuals, trusts and foundations, governments, and the European Union. All of MRG's publications, films and databases are available for free from the website but the organisation does encourage anyone using them to make a donation to support the work of the organisation for future research, advocacy and support to partners.
- Minority and indigenous trends 2020: focus on technology (October 2020)
- Inequality and the impact of Covid-19: How discrimination is shaping the experiences of minorities and indigenous peoples during the pandemic (September 2020)
- In the name of security – Human rights violations under Iran’s national security laws (June 2020)
- Peoples Under Threat 2020 (June 2020)
- Tunisie: Rapport d’analyse des cas de discrimination récoltés par les Points Anti-Discrimination (May 2020)
- Campaign Toolkit – Countering cyberhate against Roma (February 2020)
- Mosul after the Battle: Reparations for civilian harm and the future of Ninewa (January 2020)
- A rights-based framework for minority and indigenous languages in Africa: From endangerment to revitalization (November 2019)
- Unsafe at Home, Unsafe Abroad: State Obligations Towards Refugees and Asylum-Seekers in Sri Lanka (November 2019)
- The Turkish Minority in Western Thrace: The Long Struggle for Rights and Recognition (October 2019)
- Global Human Rights Defence
- Minority group
- Minority rights
- List of human rights organizations
- Founding statement of aims, Minority Rights Group
- Barzilai, Gad. Communities and Law: Politics and Cultures of Legal Identities (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2003). ISBN 978-0-472-03079-8