John Robert Milton
13 March 1938
John Robert Milton (born 13 March 1938), known professionally as Milton Johns, is an English actor whose thin features and talent for obsequious or oily characters has often influenced the many television parts he has received. He trained at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School.
Johns was born in Bristol, England. He is known for being in Happy Families (1989) as Mr Alphonso, the café manager of Mrs Wobble, Coronation Street as Brendan Scott (1991–93), the shopkeeper who died of a heart attack while pedaling along the eponymous cobbled street. Other roles have included parts in Poldark, Born and Bred, Ever Decreasing Circles, Home to Roost, Dempsey and Makepeace, Murder Most English, Shoestring, Yes Minister, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Softly, Softly, Going Straight, The Good Life, Don't Wait Up, Butterflies, Minder, Campion and Z-Cars. He played the landlord in The Basil Brush Show (2002–07). He also played jobsworth Mr Cassidy in Murphy's Mob, an ITV children's television drama series (1982–85). His character helped to manage the building used by the junior supporters of the football club, Dunmore United. Johns has appeared in Doctor Who on several occasions: as Theodore Benik in The Enemy of the World; Guy Crayford in The Android Invasion; and Castellan Kelner in The Invasion of Time.
He also appeared in the TV mini-series Moll Flanders in 1996. He played a pawnshop owner.
In 1972 he starred in the children's Sunday evening series The Intruder and in 1977, appeared in another children's series, Midnight Is A Place. In the 1980s, he also starred in the Grange Hill spin-off Tucker's Luck. Johns also appeared as an Imperial Officer (Captain Bewil) in the 1980 film, The Empire Strikes Back. He played Perker in the 1985 adaptation of The Pickwick Papers. In the 1988 television mini-series War and Remembrance, he took the role of Nazi SS officer Adolf Eichmann.
|1980||The Empire Strikes Back||Captain Bewil (Imperial Officer)|
|1994||Stanley's Dragon||Mr. Batley|
|1996||Moll Flanders||Mr Mickeljohn|
|1998||The X-Files||British Valet|
|2002||Making a Killing||L.T. Harvey|
- "Mrs Wobble the Waitress: Part 1". 6 November 1989 – via IMDb.
- "Milton Johns". www.aveleyman.com.
- Lysaght, Cornelius (25 June 2004). "Hairline decision brings brush with fame". The Times. Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- "Murphy's Mob (1985)". BFI.
- "Doctor Who Classic Episode Guide - The Invasion of Time - Details". BBC. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- "Milton Johns". BFI.
- "Midnight Is a Place | Nostalgia Central".
- "Tucker's Luck[21/04/83] (1983)". BFI.
- "Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (1980)". BFI.
- O'Connor, John J. (13 November 1988). "TV VIEW; 'War and Remembrance': Rewarding Relic" – via NYTimes.com.