|Member of the New York State Assembly|
from the 62nd district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Ronald Castorina|
|Born||January 30, 1973|
Staten Island, New York
|Residence||Staten Island, New York|
|Alma mater||John Jay College, (BS)|
Michael W. Reilly Jr. (born January 30, 1973) is a member of the New York State Assembly, representing the 62nd district since 2019. He is a Republican. The district includes portions of the South shore of Staten Island. Reilly formerly served in the United States Army Reserve and was an officer with the New York City Police Department. He previously served as well as the president of the Community Education Council (CEC) for District 31, which includes all of Staten Island. He has a BS in Legal Studies from John Jay College. He resides in Eltingville with his wife and family.
In 2018 Assemblyman Ronald Castorina opted to not seek re-election in order to run for a judgeship. Reilly, in a three way primary, easily defeated his two opponents to claim the Republican nomination. He won the general election with nearly 90% of the vote.
School Safety: While president of the CEC, Reilly focused on the issue of school safety. As Assemblyman, he has continued his push to see front doors of academic buildings locked and for retired police officers to serve as supplemental school security.
Secession: Discussion surrounding the Staten Island Secession received renewed attention in 2019. Reilly announced his support for the Divide NY plan, indicating his desire to see Staten Island become part of the upstate New York region - New Amsterdam.
Reilly received the endorsement  of the Staten Island Republican Party’s Executive Committee for his 2020 re-election bid. In November 2020, he won re-election unopposed.
- "First-time elected official, Assemblyman Michael Reilly, is sworn in". silive. 2018-12-29. Retrieved 2020-02-09.
- Kashiwagi, Sydney (2018-09-14). "Michael Reilly decisively wins South Shore Assembly primary". silive.com. Retrieved 2019-08-24.
- Michel, Clifford (2018-04-10). "Michael Reilly is running for the South Shore Assembly seat". silive.com. Retrieved 2019-08-24.
- "Michael Reilly Announces Run For Assembly Seat". www.ny1.com. Retrieved 2019-08-24.
- Michel, Clifford (2018-03-09). "Castorina to run for Surrogate's Court, won't seek re-election to Assembly". silive.com. Retrieved 2019-08-24.
- "Our Campaigns - NY Assembly 62 - R Primary Race - Sep 13, 2018". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved 2019-08-24.
- "Parents call for locked doors at city public schools". silive. 2018-04-10. Retrieved 2020-02-09.
- "Assemblyman Michael Reilly continues push for school safety". silive. 2019-03-23. Retrieved 2020-02-09.
- "Borelli moves forward with plan to revive Island secession from NYC". silive. 2019-11-08. Retrieved 2020-02-09.
- "Assemblyman Reilly: 'Staten Island should be part of upstate'". silive. 2019-12-08. Retrieved 2020-02-09.
- "Island Government: Island GOP makes endorsement in key races; Lanza to host free legal help for vets". silive. 2020-01-10. Retrieved 2020-02-02.