|Methacton High School|
1005 Kriebel Mill Road
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Learn, Lead, Succeed- Together!|
|School district||Methacton School District|
|Teaching staff||107.0 (FTE) (2018–19)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.5:1 (2018–19)|
|Color(s)||Green and White|
|Newspaper||The Windy Hill|
Methacton High School (MHS) is a public high school located in the Fairview Village area, in Worcester Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, in the Philadelphia metropolitan area. A part of the Methacton School District, it serves students in grades 9-12 from Worcester and Lower Providence townships (including the census-designated places of Audubon, Eagleville and Trooper). The school's mascot is a Native American warrior, and its colors are green and white. The school has approximately 1,757 students and 183 faculty. The current principal is Dr. Jamie Gravinese.
The first thing accomplished as the two districts merged was the opening of the Lower Providence-Worcester Joint Junior-Senior High School in 1961. The school was later named Methacton, and graduated its first class in 1964. The origin of the school's name is believed to be an American Indian term for "windy hill."
Vincent Farina, the man for whom the administration building is named, served as the first principal of the joint junior-senior high school. After serving as the second Supervising Principal of the Lower Providence-Worcester Joint School System in 1962-63, he was later named the superintendent of the Methacton School District, a capacity he continued in until his retirement in 1977.
Individualized schedules are provided to all students that reflect a strong core curriculum with the flexibility to explore various academic and personal interests. Extensive technology applications include state of the art computer labs, Internet access throughout the building and a full range of computer based curricular offerings. The library houses over 32,000 volumes as well as access to various electronic media. A complete telecommunications studio provides daily student broadcasts integrated with courses designed to prepare students for the twenty-first century. The Counseling staff offers a full range of services to students and parents from college and career planning to individual counseling needs.
Methacton High School was ranked #14 out of 689 public high schools in Pennsylvania by SAT score in 2012.
The high school currently offers 24 AP courses:
- AP Art History
- AP Biology
- AP Calculus (AB & BC)
- AP Capstone Seminar and Research
- AP Chemistry
- AP Computer Science A
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP English Language
- AP English Literature
- AP Environmental Science
- AP European History
- AP Human Geography
- AP Music Theory
- AP Physics C: Mechanics
- AP Psychology
- AP Spanish Language & Culture
- AP Statistics
- AP Studio Art (2-D, 3-D, & Drawing)
- AP U.S. Government
- AP U.S. History
The high school recently released that it would be adding AP Capstone, one of approximately 1,000 schools worldwide to implement AP Capstone, in addition to AP Computer Science Principles, for the 2017-2018 school year.
In addition to the clubs and activities found in most high schools, Methacton High School has multiple extracurricular organizations.
- Academic Decathlon — Team competition in which contenders match their intellects with students from other schools. There are 10 categories of challenge.
- Economics Club - Teaches students the principles of microeconomics and macroeconomics. Competes in the National Economic Challenge.
- History Bowl — Participates in the National History Bowl and Bee Competition. Has qualified for the national competition the past 2 yrs.
- Investment Club — Promotes the study of economics and participates in the Stock Market Game.
- Key Club — Promotes community service as a branch of the Kiwanis Club. Activities include the annual March for Babies.
- Mock Trial — Participates in the PBA/YLD Mock Trial Competition.
- Model United Nations — Methaction is one of two public schools in the Delaware Valley that has a Model UN team and competes at DELMUN, the other being from the Upper Perkiomen School District.
- Music Appreciation Club — Meets weekly to discuss new and old music as well as hosting the annual battle of the bands.
- National Honor Society — Nation's premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character.
- Robotics Club — Founded in 2011-2012 school year to promote the studies of the physical sciences and engineering.
- Science Fair — Participates in both the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Sciences (PJAS) Competition and the Montgomery County Science Research Competition (MCSTA). Winners from MCSTA move on to the Delaware Valley Science Fair, where several students have been able to advance to the Intel International Science and Engineering Competition (ISEF).
- TEAMS — Participates in the Tests of Engineering Aptitude, Mathematics, and Science (TEAMS) annual competition. Has consistently ranked among the best in the state and advanced to the national competition.
- Theatre Company's mission is to present to the community the best plays by the world's greatest playwrights while maintaining a strong educational theatre program that fosters an ensemble spirit and offers students opportunities to learn.
- Warrior News Team — Produces news programs, including morning announcements.
- Warrior's Performance Group — Raises awareness about human rights, diversity through visual and performing arts.
Methacton is a Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA) District 1 member. Boys sports include: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, and Wrestling. Girls sports include: Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming and Diving, and Volleyball.
Enrollment for sports in 2013 totaled 1,271 students.
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (December 2020)
- Courtney Friel, Fox news reporter
- Elin Hilderbrand, romance novelist
- Jennifer L. Holm, Newbery Honor-winning author
- Ryann Krais, gold and bronze medalist the 2007 World Youth Championships in Athletics (track and field)
- Morgan Turner, actress, plays Martha in Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
- Eric Wareheim, co-creator, writer, and star of Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! and Tom Goes to the Mayor
- Robbie Wine, professional baseball player for the Houston Astros (1987–1988) and the head coach at Penn State University (2004-2013)
- "Search for Public Schools - Methacton HS (421425003305)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 27, 2020.
- Official site, "Meet the Principal". Accessed October 20, 2013.
- Methacton.org, "". Accessed January 31, 2017.
- "Contact Us." Methacton School District. Retrieved on October 8, 2018. "Methacton High School 1005 Kriebel Mill Road Fairview Village, PA 19403 "
- Zoning Map. Worcester Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Retrieved on October 8, 2018. The map indicates the location of Methacton High School.
- "About Methacton High School / Overview" Check
|url=value (help). http. Retrieved 2021-04-23.
- "The 50 area high schools with the highest SAT scores, updated". Philadelphia Business Journals. Retrieved March 6, 2015.
- "MHS Newsroom". Methacton High School Website. Retrieved January 31, 2017.
- Methacton High School Robotics. Accessed 5 December 2011.
- "PIAA Methacton High School". PIAA. Retrieved February 19, 2015.
- Official site of Jennifer Holm. "Bio". Accessed 30 March 2010.
- "Heptathlete Krais is following in Jackie Joyner-Kersee's path". Sports Illustrated. 2008-04-24. Archived from the original on 2009-05-15. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- ELKINCorrespondent, MICHAEL. "A wicked star turn for Montco girl". The Intelligencer.
- Robbie Wine Coach Bio