|Member of the Pennsylvania Senate|
from the 22nd district
|Assumed office |
June 9, 2021
|Preceded by||John Blake|
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives|
from the 113th district
January 1, 2013 – June 9, 2021
|Preceded by||Kevin P. Murphy|
|Succeeded by||[to be determined]|
|Born||September 18, 1975|
Martin "Marty" Flynn (born September 18, 1975) is an American politician. A Democrat, he has been a member of the Pennsylvania State Senate from the 22nd district since 2021. He was previously a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives from 2013 to 2021.
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Flynn was elected to represent the 113th legislative district in 2012 to replace Kevin P. Murphy. He serves on the Aging and Older Adult Services, Consumer Affairs, Commerce, and State Government Committees.
On May 9, 2020, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, Flynn, a member of the Regional Recovery Task Force, came under fire for his retort against critics on his personal Facebook page, stating “Keep talking about how bad we Democrats are and WE will STOP supporting YOUR businesses. You want to make it PERSONAL and we WILL”. He later removed the post and apologized.
Flynn doesn’t fight in the ring anymore, he fights for the working man in Harrisburg.
2021 special election
On February 14, Democratic State Senator John Blake announced he would be resigning as Senator of the 22nd senatorial district to take a position with Congressman Matt Cartwright. On March 13, Democrats held a special convention where Flynn won the party's nomination. Flynn won the special election on May 18.
Flynn was sworn in to the Senate on June 9.
- "SESSION OF 2013 - 197TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 1" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2013-01-01.
- Swift, Robert (December 30, 2012). "NEPA sends new faces to Harrisburg". The Times-Tribune. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Statehouse Shootout: Pa. lawmaker exchanges gunfire with would-be robber". Fox News. 2015-03-24. Retrieved 2021-03-15.
- DuPuis, Roger (2020-05-10). "Controversy for bipartisan recovery task force after Flynn blasts businesses". Times Leader. Retrieved 2021-03-15.
- Hofius, Sarah (2021-03-13). "Local Democrats choose Flynn to run for state Senate seat". Wilkes-Barre Citizens' Voice. Retrieved 2021-03-15.
- "2021 Special Election 22nd Senatorial District". Pennsylvania Elections. Retrieved 20 May 2021.
- Krawczeniuk, Borys (2021-06-09). "Flynn sworn in as new state senator". Scranton Times-Tribune. Retrieved 2021-06-09.