Man Singh Tyagi
मान सिंह त्यागी
|Born||1 January 1934|
|Education||MSc, Dr. -Ing|
|Alma mater||University of Lucknow, India|
RWTH Aachen University, Germany
|Employer||1. CEERI Pilani, India |
2. RWTH Aachen University, Germany
3. Telefunken AG, Ulm, Germany
4. University of British Columbia, Canada
5. Carnegie Mellon University, U.S.A.
6. Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India
7. Birla Institute of Technology and Science, India
8. Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, India
|Known for||Semiconductor Devices, Solid state Electronics, Integrated Circuits, Electromagnetics|
|Author of book : Introduction to Semiconductor Materials and Devices|
Early life and education
Tyagi began his career as a researcher at Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute, Pilani. He then moved to West Germany to pursue his doctorate from RWTH Aachen University. At RWTH, he enrolled his Dr.-Ing (German doctorate degree in engineering) degree in electrical engineering. During his doctorate studies at RWTH, he was employed as a laboratory development engineer by Telefunken AG, Ulm, Germany, from 1962 to 1964. In 1966, he finished his Dr.-Ing degree with his thesis entitled About the breakthrough behaviour of silicon diodes. From 1967–1968, he held a postdoctoral teaching fellowship at University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, and during 1968–1969 he was a research scientist at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US.
The Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK) was established in 1959 by a consortium of nine leading US research universities as part of the Kanpur Indo-American Programme (KIAP). In 1969, Tyagi joined the electrical engineering department of IITK as an assistant professor and became a professor in 1977. There he has been mainly responsible for the development of the Semiconductor Devices Laboratory. Since February 1980, he has been a visiting professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering ESAT Laboratory, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, on leave of absence from IITK. After retiring from IITK as a professor of electrical engineering, he joined the electrical engineering and electronics engineering department of the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, as a professor. In July 2003, he joined thr electronics and communications engineering department of Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Noida. He was also a visiting professor at Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, Noida.
Tyagi wrote one internationally acclaimed book Introduction to Semiconductor Materials and Devices, which is widely used in Electrical Engineering, semiconductor devices and material science undergraduate and postgraduate courses. It was published by John Wiley & Sons on 7 March 1991.
- M. S. Tyagi: Introduction to Semiconductor Materials and Devices. John Wiley & Sons. 311–320 (1991). ISBN 0-471-60560-3 
- Physics of Schottky Barrier Junction (first chapter in book Metal-semiconductor Schottky barrier junctions and their applications by B. L. Sharma, PlenumPress, New York (1984))
He has contributed the first chapter in Metal-semiconductor Schottky barrier junctions and their applications, Plenum Press New York 1984.
- "IIT Kanpur retired faculties list". iitk.ac.in. Archived from the original on 24 December 2012. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany State Government archive: Stocks of the RWTH Aachen University archive". nrw.de. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Norman Dahl: Kanpur Indo-American Program; "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 August 2011. Retrieved 3 February 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link), retrieved 6 March 2012
- "IIT Kanpur Department of Electrical Engineering archive". iitk.ac.in. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Introduction to Semiconductor Materials and Devices on Google books. google.com. 2008. ISBN 9788126518678. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Semiconductor society of India members list
- Introduction to Semiconductor Materials and Devices on Google books
- M. S. Tygai on myfaveteacher.com
- Archive of IIT Kanpur department of Electrical Engineering
- Publication of School of Electronics at CDAC, Noida
- Publication list Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute, Pilani