|Education||Gustavus Adolphus College (BA)|
|Occupation||Author, writer, and editor|
Lyz Lenz is an American author, writer, and editor. She was previously a columnist at The Cedar Rapids Gazette and served as managing editor of The Rumpus. She is the author of God Land and Belabored.
Life and career
Lenz moved from Vermillion, South Dakota to Minneapolis, Minnesota while in high school and graduated from Eden Prairie High School. She has an undergraduate degree from Gustavus Adolphus College. Lenz belonged to Evangelical churches but came into conflict with their orthodoxies including on the role of women in the church and the exclusion of gay and lesbian people.
Lenz's writing has been published by publications including the Columbia Journalism Review, The Washington Post, and The Gazette. A divorced mother, she wrote in Glamour (magazine) about her self-imposed 2-year hiatus from cooking.
Lenz's first book, titled God Land explores her personal experiences and the role of religion and politics in rural America during the Trump era. Her second book, Belabored focuses on the rights and autonomy that pregnant women ought to be afforded, the ways in which religion and politics impacts how pregnant women are treated in the U.S., and her own experience being pregnant.
- Belabored: A Vindication of the Rights of Pregnant Women, August 11, 2020, Bold Type Books
- God Land: A Story of Faith, Loss, and Renewal in Middle America, August 1, 2019, Indiana University Press
- "All the Angry Women", essay in the anthology Not that Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture edited by Roxane Gay
- "Cottonwood Creek", essay in the anthology Empty the Pews: Stories of Leaving the Church edited by Chrissy Stroop and Lauren O'Neal
- "Lyz Lenz | The Gazette - Cedar Rapids, Iowa City". www.thegazette.com.
- "Quick Q&A: Lyz Lenz". Indianapolis Monthly. August 13, 2019.
- "Book Review: 'God Land: A Story of Faith, Loss, and Renewal in Middle America' by Lyz Lenz". July 8, 2019.
- Norcia, Alex (September 3, 2019). "The Faith You Can't See: A Q&A With Lyz Lenz" – via www.thenation.com.
- Wood, Drew (August 16, 2019). "Lyz Lenz Talks About God Land". Mpls.St.Paul Magazine.
- Lenz, Lyz (July 31, 2019). "You can have a church or be a free woman – but having both is a struggle" – via www.theguardian.com.
- Nast, Condé. "Now That I'm Divorced, I'm Never Cooking for a Man Again". Glamour.
- "LGBTQ forum moderator says Joe Biden called her 'a real sweetheart' after tough questions". USA Today.
- Jones, Sarah (August 16, 2019). "'I Don't Really Believe In Bubbles:' Lyz Lenz On Her Book, God Land". Intelligencer.
- "Surviving "God Land" in the age of Trump: Lyz Lenz on faith, politics and the Midwest". Salon. August 2, 2019.
- "I had a serious complication in childbirth, and no one even told me". TODAY.com. Retrieved 2020-08-24.
- Lenz, Lyz (2020). Belabored. United States of America: Bold Type Books. ISBN 9781541762824.
- Nobriga, Charity Nebbe, Katelyn Harrop, Shirley Wang, Sthefany. ""God Land" Explores Modern Faith In The Midwest". www.iowapublicradio.org.
- Marz, Megan (January 16, 2020). "Personal Stories of the Exodus from Christianity". The Washington Post. Retrieved August 24, 2020.