|Lovely Ladies, Kind Gentlemen|
|Music||Stan Freeman |
|Lyrics||Stan Freeman |
|Basis||The Teahouse of the August Moon (novel) – Vern J. Sneider|
The Teahouse of the August Moon (play) – John Patrick
The musical is based on Patrick's 1953 play and screenplay The Teahouse of the August Moon. It focuses on Capt. Fisby who, assigned to Americanize the village of Tobiki on Okinawa following World War II, encourages the residents to build a school. They would prefer a traditional teahouse instead, and when Fisby discovers the potent alcoholic beverage they brew is popular with the American GIs and a big money-maker, he falls in with their plans. Helping him become assimilated to the local mores are local interpreter Sakini and geisha Lotus Blossom.
The musical opened in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at the Shubert Theatre on August 19, 1970 in its out of town tryout and then had tryout performances in Los Angeles (Civic Light Opera) and San Francisco.
The musical premiered on Broadway at the Majestic Theatre on December 28, 1970 and closed on January 9, 1971 after 19 performances and three previews. Directed by Lawrence Kasha and choreographed by Marc Breaux, the cast included Kenneth Nelson as Sakini, David Burns, Ron Husmann as Capt. Fisby, and Eleanor Calbes as Lotus Blossom.
Critic Clive Barnes, in his review for The New York Times wrote: "Oh, dear! I come to bury Lovely Ladies, Kind Gentle man, [sic] not to praise it, but there were one or two decent things, and three or four half decent things, about this strangely dated musical that modestly opened last night at the Majestic Theater."
Awards and honors
Original Broadway production
|1971||Tony Award||Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical||David Burns||Nominated|
|Best Costume Design||Freddy Wittop||Nominated|
- Suskin, Steven. Lovely Ladies, Kind Gentlemen The Sound of Broadway Music: A Book of Orchestrators and Orchestrations, Oxford University Press, 2011, ISBN 0199790841, page number unknown
- Lovely Ladies, Kind Gentlemen Playbill, retrieved October 14, 2017
- Barnes, Clive. " 'Lovely Ladies, Kind Gentlemen' Opens" The New York Times, December 29, 1970
- "Ladies, Gentlemen Not So Lovely" and "Dailies" Billboard, Vol. 83, No. 3, p. 26, January 16, 1971
- Schildcrout, Jordan (2019). In the Long Run: A Cultural History of Broadway's Hit Plays. New York and London: Routledge. p. 124. ISBN 978-0367210908.