|Love from a Stranger|
|Directed by||Richard Whorf|
|Screenplay by||Philip MacDonald|
|Based on||the play Love from a Stranger|
the short-story "Philomel Cottage"
by Frank Vosper
|Produced by||James J. Geller|
|Edited by||Fred Allen|
|Music by||Hans J. Salter|
|Color process||Black and white|
Bryan Foy Productions
|Distributed by||Eagle-Lion Films|
Love from a Stranger is a 1947 American historical film noir directed by Richard Whorf and starring John Hodiak and Sylvia Sidney. The film is also known as A Stranger Walked In in the United Kingdom. It is based on the play of the same title by Frank Vosper, inspired by a short story by Agatha Christie, which had previously been turned into a 1937 British film Love from a Stranger starring Basil Rathbone.
A woman fears her new husband will kill her.
- John Hodiak as Manuel Cortez
- Sylvia Sidney as Cecily Harrington
- Ann Richards as Mavia
- John Howard as Nigel Lawrence
- Isobel Elsom as Auntie Loo-Loo
- Ernest Cossart as Billings
- Philip Tonge as Dr. Gribble
- Anita Sharp-Bolster as Ethel (the maid)
- Frederick Worlock as Insp. Hobday
- Phyllis Barry as Waitress
Thomas M. Pryor, the film critic at The New York Times, gave the film a lukewarm review. He wrote, "It may well be that some will find a modicum of excitement in Love From a Stranger. But the average moviegoer is a pretty 'hep' customer and the chances are he will be so far ahead of the story that its climactic scene will explode with all the thunder of a cap pistol."
Critic Craig Butler also had problems with the film, mostly the script. He wrote, "A moderately entertaining mystery flick (the story of which was better served when it was originally filmed in 1937), Love from a Stranger is an adequate but unexciting way to spend an hour and a half or so. Stranger wants to be a clever thriller, and it starts out well. Unfortunately, about halfway through it becomes rather obvious, and so the necessary suspense is simply lacking."
- "Eagle-Lion's US Performance Reviewed by Foy in NY", Variety, 19 March 1947 p 13
- Love from a Stranger at the American Film Institute Catalog.
- Pryor, Thomas M. The New York Times, film review, November 28, 1947. Accessed: July 30, 2013.
- Butler, Craig. Allmovie by Rovi, film review, no date. Accessed: July 30, 2013.