It is quite common to find the Afrikaans word -rivier as part of the name. Another common suffix is "-kamma", from the Khoisan term for "river" (often tautologically the English term "river" is added to the name). The Zulu word amanzi (water) also forms part of some river names.
The Afrikaans term spruit (compare spring) often labels small rivers.
- A ^ Drainage basin code assigned by the Department of Water Affairs (South Africa), a complete list is available at Drainage basins of South Africa
- List of reservoirs and dams in South Africa
- Water Management Areas
- Estuaries in South Africa
- List of lakes in South Africa
- Lagoons of South Africa
- List of Bays of South Africa
- Drainage basins of South Africa
- Meiring, Barbara. "South African Toponymic Guidelines for Map and other editors: Fourth Edition"[permanent dead link], 12. Retrieved on 30 April 2013.
- "Maitland River Mouth". Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rivers of South Africa.|