24 August 1935
|Occupation||Actor, Theatre director|
(m. 1956; died 2010)
|Partner(s)||Francesca Della Valle|
Gerlando Buzzanca (born 24 August 1935), best known as Lando Buzzanca, is an Italian theatrical, film and television actor, whose career spanned over 55 years.
Life and career
Born in Palermo the son of a cinema projectionist, at 16 years old Buzzanca left the high school and moved to Rome to pursue his dream of becoming an actor. In order to survive, he took many jobs including waiter, furniture mover, and a brief appearance as a slave in the film Ben-Hur. He made his official debut in Pietro Germi's Divorce, Italian Style, and soon specialized in the role of the average immigrant from southern Italy.
After two successful "James Tont" films in which he played a parody of James Bond, starting from the late 1960s, Buzzanca got a large success in a series of satirical commedia sexy all'italiana films which satirized major institutions such as politics, religion, trade unions and financial world. With the decline of the genre, he slowed his film activities, focusing into theatre and television, in which he enjoyed a resurgence of popularity in the 2000s thanks to a series of well-received TV-series.
In 2013, following the death of his wife Lucia and a heavy depression, Buzzanca attempted suicide by cutting his veins.
In 2014 he suffered from a mild cerebral ischemia which caused him aphasia, but by the following year he had fully recovered from his depressive period and started a relationship with a younger woman, Antonella.
In 2016 he participated as dancer in the television program Ballando con le Stelle and started a new and intense romance with a younger actress and journalist Francesca Della Valle.
In 2020 Buzzanca had some disagreements with his sons for the administration of family assets, and at the request of his sons to the tutelary judge he is joined by an administrator in the management of his assets.
On April 21, 2021, the day after being vaccinated for COVID-19, he fell at home due to a sudden illness that left him unconscious. He suffered a head injury and was rescued by the maid, who found him the day after the accident still unconscious on the ground and called an ambulance. He was admitted to the Santo Spirito hospital in Rome.
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2008||I Vicerè||Best Actor||Nominated|
Golden Globes, Italy
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2008||I Vicerè||Best Actor||Won|
|1970||Signore e signora|
|1999||Cornetti al miele|
|2003||Una famiglia per caso|
|2005||Il cielo può attendere|
|2007||Chiara e Francesco|
|2007||La baronessa di Carini|
|2010||Lo scandalo della Banca Romana|
|2010||Io e mio figlio - Nuove storie per il commissario Vivaldi||Federico Vivaldi|
|2012–2014||Il Restauratore||Basilio Corsi||season 1–2 (28 episodes)|
|2012||Terra ribelle – Il nuovo mondo||Alfredo Malagridas||season 2|
|2013||Donne in gioco|
|2016||Ballando con le stelle||Ballando con le Stelle (series 11)|
|2017||Meglio tardi che mai|
- Sergio Buonadonna (8 August 2010). "Lando Buzzanca". La Repubblica. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- Fabio Secchi Frau. "Lando Buzzanca: Il cinema italiano mi fece sexy". MyMovies. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- Enrico Lancia, Roberto Poppi. "Buzzanca, Lando". Gli Attori. Gremese Editore, 2003. ISBN 8884402697.
- "Lando Buzzanca si confessa: "E' vero, ho tentato il suicidio"". Il Mattino. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Lando Buzzanca, playboy senza età". Novella 2000. 24 November 2016. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
- "Lando Buzzanca si sposa a 83 anni. "Io e Francesca siamo due bambini"". ilgiornale.it. ilgiornale.it. 3 February 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2021.
- "Lando Buzzanca e la sua nuova fiamma". ilgiornale.it. ilgiornale.it. 22 November 2016. Retrieved 26 May 2021.
- "Lando Buzzanca in guerra con i figli: "Mi danno del rimbambito per prendersi la casa"". 16 January 2020. Retrieved 26 May 2021.
- "Il malore poi la caduta. Lando Buzzanca è in ospedale". ilgiornale.it. ilgiornale.it. 26 May 2021. Retrieved 26 May 2021.
- "Lando Buzzanca, lo sfogo della compagna Francesca Della Valle: "Lui è in ospedale e non mi permettono neanche di vederlo" – ESCLUSIVO". oggi.it. oggi.it. 19 May 2021. Retrieved 26 May 2021.
- "Lando Buzzanca ricoverato da un mese, la compagna rivela: "Non so più nulla di lui"". tgcom24.mediaset.it. tgcom24.mediaset.it. 26 May 2021. Retrieved 27 May 2021.