Kurt Werner Friedrich Reidemeister
|Died||8 July 1971 (aged 77)|
|Alma mater||University of Hamburg|
|Thesis||Über die Relativklassenzahl gewisser relativ-quadratischer Zahlkörper (1921)|
|Doctoral advisor||Erich Hecke|
|Doctoral students||Günter HotzHeiner Zieschang|
He was a brother of Marie Neurath. Beginning in 1912, he studied in Freiburg, Munich, Marburg, and Göttingen. In 1920, he got the staatsexamen (master's degree) in mathematics, philosophy, physics, chemistry, and geology. He received his doctorate in 1921 with a thesis in algebraic number theory at the University of Hamburg under the supervision of Erich Hecke.
In October 1922 (or 1923) he was appointed assistant professor at the University of Vienna. While there he became familiar with the work of Wilhelm Wirtinger on knot theory, and became closely connected to Hans Hahn and the Vienna Circle. Its manifesto (1929) lists one of Reidemeister's publications in a bibliography of closely related authors.
Blaschke managed to get a promise about Reidemeister's reappointment, and in autumn 1934 he got the chair of Kurt Hensel at the University of Marburg. He stayed there, except for a visit to the Princeton Institute for Advanced Study in 1948–1950, until he got appointed to Göttingen University in 1955, where he stayed until his emeritation.
Reidemeister's interests were mainly in combinatorial group theory, combinatorial topology, geometric group theory, and the foundations of geometry. His works include Knoten und Gruppen (1926), Einführung in die kombinatorische Topologie (1932), and Knotentheorie (1932). He co-edited the journal Mathematische Annalen from 1947 until 1963.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Kurt Reidemeister", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews
- Rafael Artzy (1972). "Kurt Reidemeister 13.10.1893 — 8.7.1971". Jber. DMV (in German). 74: 96–104.
- Friedrich Bachmann and Heinrich Behnke and Wolfgang Franz (1972). "In memorian Kurt Reidemeister" (PDF). Math. Ann. (in German). 199 (1): 1–11. doi:10.1007/bf01419571. S2CID 122203410.
- Wilhelm Blaschke, Vorlesungen über Differentialgeometrie, Springer, Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften, 1921-1929, vol. 2: Affine Differentialgeometrie
- Jahresversammlung in Jena vom 18.—25. September 1921, Jahresbericht der Deutschen Mathematiker-Vereinigung, vol.30, p.27-28, 1921
- W. Blaschke and K. Reidemeister (1922). "Über die Entwicklung der Affingeometrie" (PDF). Jahresbericht DMV. 31: 63–81.
- Kurt Reidemeister (1928). "Exaktes Denken". Philosophischer Anzeiger. 3: 15–47.
- Title page of vol.274 (1986)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kurt Reidemeister.|