28 January 1981
|Known for||Soodhu Kavvum|
Karunakaran Kalidas (born 28 January 1981) is an Indian film actor who mainly appears in character or comedian roles in Tamil cinema. He made his breakthrough in the film Soodhu Kavvum (2013) playing the role of MLA Arumai Pragasam, who planned a fake kidnapping of himself to extort money from his politician father. He also appeared in supporting roles in Yaamirukka Bayamey (2014) and Jigarthanda (2014).
Karunakaran's father is a former RAW agent and he grew up in New Delhi, before moving to Trichy with his parents, where he met short film maker and friend Nalan Kumarasamy. He completed his secondary schooling at St. John's Vestry Anglo Indian Hr. Sec. School, Trichy. It is during his school days, where he met his longtime friend Srikanth Ravikumar, who is one of the biggest entrepreneur who has settled in Malaysia. He initially made a career as chemical engineer, graduating from SASTRA University, and then as an IT professional at Accenture, before Nalan approached him to feature in a short film he was making for the reality television show, Naalaya Iyakkunar. Karunakaran had featured in such short film ventures at school and Nalan had cast him in Nenjuku Neethi, which went on to win the first place award that season. Sundar C gave him brief roles in two of his ventures, while he made his first breakthrough portraying Vijay Sethupathi's friend in Karthik Subbaraj's Pizza (2012), after which he left work and concentrated on a career in films.
Nalan subsequently cast him in his feature film debut Soodhu Kavvum (2013), for which Karunakaran won rave reviews. His appearance in the "Kasu Panam Thuttu" song also was well received and prompted several further offers for the actor. His performance in Yaamirukka Bayamey (2014) was appreciated by critics. The Times of India wrote, "A large part of the credit should go to Karuna, who manages to make Sharath both ambivalent and funny", while Sify wrote that he was "a scream" and The Hindu called it an "exceptional performance".
|2020||Time Enna Boss||Buggy||Amazon Prime|||
- "Tamil Stars Wedding 2013". Tamilstar.
- Gupta, Rinku (12 September 2013). "'Soodhu kavvum has changed my life'". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "Big day for Karunakaran!, soodhu kavvum, pizza". Behindwoods.com. 30 May 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "Actor Karunakaran Interview : Screen Test". Silverscreenindia.com. 24 June 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2021.
- "Yaamirukka Bayamey movie review". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 1 January 1970. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "Movie Review : Yaamirukka Bayamey". Sify.com. Archived from the original on 9 May 2014. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- udhav naig. "Yaamirukka Bayamey: Busting ghosts". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "Sasikumar's protégé goes independent". Deccanchronicle.com/. 21 May 2017. Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- "Vivegam Tamil Movie Rating [4/5], Audience Review". Quintdaily.com. 23 August 2017.
- "Time Enna Boss trailer: A fun Tamil series about time travel". The Indian Express. 15 September 2020. Retrieved 18 September 2020.