22 February 1938
|Died||6 November 2017 (aged 79)|
Karin Dor (pronounced [ˈka.ʁiːn ˈdoːɐ̯] (listen), born Kätherose Derr; 22 February 1938 – 6 November 2017) was a German actress most famous for her role as a Bond girl in the James Bond movie You Only Live Twice (1967).
She was married three times: her last marriage was to George Robotham, a U.S. stunt-director, from 1988 until his death in 2007. The couple lived in Los Angeles and Munich. Her previous marriage was to Harald Reinl (1954–68); the couple had a child.
Accident and death
In July 2016 while vacationing in South Tyrol, Dor was knocked to the ground after being accidentally rammed by a woman with a stroller. The backwards fall onto concrete resulted in a gashing 4 cm head wound that had to be stitched in hospital. She also lost her memory for the duration of an hour. According to Dor, the doctors did neither detect a brain concussion nor an intracranial injury. Only during rehearsals for the theatre play Der Dressierte Mann weeks after her fall did doctors realize her injuries were more serious than previously thought, as she began suffering from headaches and was often tired. Even months past the accident, the aftereffects were still present and Dor wasn't feeling up to her usual energetic self. Her attitude however remained positive and, despite her doctors advising against it, she continued working as an actress. Between October and November 2016, she appeared on stage every evening performing at the Komödie im Bayerischen Hof in Munich. By that time, she was already experiencing limited motor function in her right leg.
- The Last Waltz (1953) as Extra (uncredited)
- Roses from the South (1954)
- Rose-Girl Resli (1954)
- The Great Test (1954)
- Der schweigende Engel (1954) as Erika
- Ihre große Prüfung (1955) as Elena Clausen
- As Long as You Live (1955) as Pepita
- Santa Lucia (1956) as Manina
- Kleiner Mann – ganz groß (1957) as Meike Brauns
- Die Zwillinge vom Zillertal (1957) as Daniela Kleemann
- Almenrausch and Edelweiss (1957) as Maresi Meier
- Mit Eva fing die Sünde an (1958) as Dinah
- Worüber man nicht spricht (1958) as Christa Riek
- Thirteen Old Donkeys (1958) as Monika
- Skandal um Dodo (1959) as Helga, die Nichte
- The Blue Sea and You (1959) as Helga Heidebrink
- A Summer You Will Never Forget (1959) as Christine von Auffenberg
- That's No Way to Land a Man (1959) as Tessy
- Die Bande des Schreckens (1960) as Nora Sanders
- The White Horse Inn (1960) as Brigitte Giesecke
- The Green Archer (1960) as Valerie Howett, geb Bellamy
- Pichler's Books Are Not in Order (1961) as Anneliese
- Der Fälscher von London (1961) as Jane Clifton, geb. Leith
- Am Sonntag will mein Süsser mit mir segeln geh'n (1961) as Georgie Hagen, die Sprachstudentin
- Im schwarzen Rößl (1961) as Eva Lantz
- The Bellboy and the Playgirls (1962)
- The Invisible Dr. Mabuse (1962) as Liane Martin
- Der Teppich des Grauens (1962) as Ann Learner
- Treasure of the Silver Lake (1962) as Ellen Patterson
- The White Spider (1963) as Muriel Irvine
- The Strangler of Blackmoor Castle (1963) as Claridge Dorsett
- The Secret of the Black Widow (1963) as Clarisse
- Room 13 (1964) as Denise
- Last of the Renegades (1964) as Ribanna
- Hotel der toten Gäste (1965) as Gilly Powell
- The Last Tomahawk (1965) as Cora Munroe
- The Face of Fu Manchu (1965) as Maria Muller
- The Desperado Trail (1965)
- Io la conoscevo bene (1965) as Barbara, the lady friend of Adriana
- Der unheimliche Mönch (1965) as Gwendolin
- The Spy with Ten Faces (1966) as Helen Farheit
- Killer's Carnival (1966) as Denise (Rio segment)
- Target for Killing (1966) as Sandra Perkins
- Die Nibelungen (1966–1967, TV Series) as Brunhild
- You Only Live Twice (1967) as Helga Brandt / No.11
- Die Schlangengrube und das Pendel (1967) as Baroness Lilian von Brabant
- Darling Caroline (1968) as Isabelle de Loigny
- The Valley of Death (1968) as Mabel Kingsley
- Topaz (1969) as Juanita de Cordoba
- Los Monstruos del Terror (1970) as Maleva Kerstein
- Haie an Bord (1971) as Andrea Jacobs
- Only the Wind Knows the Answer (1974) as Nicole Monnier
- Warhead (1977) as Liora
- Women in Hospital (1977) as Claudias Mutter
- Dark Echo (1977) as Lisa Bruekner
- Johann Strauß – Der König ohne Krone (1987) as Jetty
- Ich bin die Andere (2006) as Frau Winter
- The Misplaced World (2015) as Rosa (final film role)
- Bergan, Ronald (15 November 2017). "Karin Dor obituary". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Hallmayer, Petra (17 May 2010). "Das ewig süße Mädel". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German).
- Barnes, Mike (8 November 2017). "Karin Dor, Bond Girl in 'You Only Live Twice', Dies at 79". The Hollywood Reporter. ISSN 0018-3660.
- Karin Dor stirbt im Alter von 79 Jahren Bild. 8 November 2017.
- Lind, Benjamin (10 June 2017). Concerns about Bond-Girl Karin Dor. The Bond Bulletin.
- "Karin Dor dead: Bond Girl passes away aged 79". BuzzNews. 8 November 2017. Archived from the original on 9 November 2017.