|Born||November 20, 1979|
|Alma mater||Pepperdine University (BA)|
|Years active||2001 - present|
Julia Hartz (November 20, 1979; Santa Cruz, California) is an American entrepreneur, investor, and the co-founder and CEO of Eventbrite, a global ticketing and event technology platform. She is best known for her leadership at Eventbrite and empowering women in the technology industry. Hartz was selected as one of Fortune magazine's most powerful women entrepreneurs.
Early life and education
After studying communication and broadcast journalism at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California, Hartz began her career as a development executive at MTV where she contributed to the Jackass TV series from 2001 to 2003. At FX Networks from 2003 to 2005, she helped oversee shows including The Shield, Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck and 30 Days.
Then, in 2006, she co-founded Eventbrite with Kevin Hartz and Renaud Visage, which now has more than 700 global employees with offices in 12 countries. Hartz was appointed CEO and became member of Eventbrite Board of directors in April 2016.
Hartz is also an investor in Minted, Chairish, Playa Capital Company, Tamara Mellon and Color Genomics. She serves on the Board of directors of the Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, and University of California, San Francisco’s Board of overseers.
Hartz is one of the most recognized female leaders in technology. She has been honored twice as one of Fortune magazine’s 40 Under 40 business leaders, Inc.’s 35 under 35, and one of Fortune's most powerful women entrepreneurs. The Aspen Institute also recognized Hartz as one of the 2018 Class of Henry Crown Fellows.
She often speaks on the subject of building and scaling a global business, entrepreneurship, and the power of human connection through live experiences.
Hartz lives in San Francisco with her husband, Kevin Hartz and two daughters.
- (2019) – Interview with Reid Hoffman on Masters of Scale
- (2020) – Interview with Guy Raz on the How I Built This
- "Box office gold — Julia Hartz, CEO, Eventbrite". Financial Times. June 28, 2016.
- "Exclusive: Eventbrite Has a New CEO, and You'll Never Guess Who it Is". Forbes. April 21, 2016.
- "Meet the 2013 Fortune Most Powerful Women Entrepreneurs". Fortune. October 10, 2013.
- "How Eventbrite's Julia Hartz Is Making Her Company Profitable". Inc. April 26, 2016.
- "Exclusive: Eventbrite CEO Julia Hartz Appointed to Four Seasons' Board of Directors". Fortune. May 2, 2017.
- George, Anders (26 March 2014). "Look Who Sequoia Bankrolls: These 13 Tech Titans Stand Out". forbes.com. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- "Meet ELLE's 2015 Women in Tech". Elle. June 11, 2015.
- "40 under 40". fortune.com. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- "Eventbrite's Julia Hartz on Growing Into Entrepreneurship". Inc. June 24, 2014.
- "Announcing the 2018 Class of Henry Crown Fellows". agln.aspeninstitute.org. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- "Eventbrite CEO On The Transformative Power of Human Connection And Why Self-Doubt Is A Waste Of Time". Forbes. March 4, 2018.