Jonathan Michie (born 25 March 1957, London, England) is a British economist and holds the joint post of Director of the Department for Continuing Education, and President of Kellogg College, University of Oxford, where he is Professor of Innovation and Knowledge Exchange.
Michie studied at United World College of the Atlantic from 1973 where he gained his International Baccalaureate. He then gained a scholarship to Balliol College, Oxford, where he gained first class honours in Philosophy, Politics and Economics, and later a doctorate, after having obtained an MSc in Economics (with Distinction) from Queen Mary, University of London. In 1983 he moved to the Economics Department of the Trades Union Congress and then in 1988 to Brussels as an Expert to the European Commission, before becoming an academic at the University of Cambridge in 1990. After seven years at Cambridge – first in the Economics Faculty and then the Judge Business School – he took up the Sainsbury Chair of Management at the University of London, where he was Head of the School of Management & Organizational Psychology at Birkbeck College.
In 2004, he became a Professor of Management at the University of Birmingham where he was Director of the Birmingham Business School and a member of the University Council. He was also a Non-Executive Director of the Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust.
In December 2007, he was appointed to the joint positions of Director of the Department for Continuing Education and President of Kellogg College, University of Oxford.
Michie was one of the first chairpersons of Shareholders United, formerly Shareholders United Against Murdoch, a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to promote fan ownership in Manchester United Football Club. They successfully thwarted Rupert Murdoch's attempt to take over Manchester United. When his term as chair passed in 2004, Shareholders United had over 30,000 members and owned 1% of Manchester United. The organisation is now known as the Manchester United Supporters' Trust.
In 2012, Michie was pleased to be listed third behind Len McCluskey as a speaker at the event 21st Century Marxism. He waxed lyrical on Globalism – the death of the nation state? a seminar presented with Harsev Bains.
- "Academic pair killed in car crash". BBC. 8 July 2007.
- "Jonathan Michie".
- Jonathan Mitchie, Birmingham Business School, University of Birmingham, UK.
- Professor Jonathan Michie MSc London, MA DPhil Oxford, Oxford University Department for Continuing Education, UK.
- Oxford University centre to run Commission on Ownership Archived 13 June 2010 at the Wayback Machine, University of Oxford, UK, 15 December 2009.
- Jonathan Michie Archived 13 May 2006 at the Wayback Machine, Salford United Supporters Trust.
- "21st Century Marxism – Programme for this year's 21st Century Marxism festival". Communist Party of Britain. 5 July 2012.