Educated at Trinity College, Dublin, Phair was ordained in 1900. He held curacies in Conwall, Dublin and Monkstown and incumbencies in St Catherine's Dublin and Christ Church Leeson Park. He was Rural Dean of Rathdowney and then Dean of Ossory (1923–1940)  before becoming Bishop of Ossory, Ferns and Leighlin in 1940. He retired in 1961; and died on 28 December 1967.
- “Who was Who” 1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 071363457X
- "Handbook of British Chronology" By Fryde, E. B;. Greenway, D.E;Porter, S; Roy, I: Cambridge, CUP, 1996 ISBN 052156350X, 9780521563505
- Crockford's Clerical Directory1940-41 Oxford, OUP,1941
- St Canice’s Cathedral and Round Tower
- "A New History of Ireland "Moody,T.M; Martin,F.X; Byrne,F.J;Cosgrove,F: Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1976 ISBN 0198217455