|Position:||Defensive backs coach|
|Born:||April 3, 1973|
|As a coach:|
John Butler (born April 3, 1973) is an American football coach. He currently serves as the secondary coach for the Buffalo Bills. He previously served as the secondary coach for the Houston Texans and has coached collegiately at several schools, including Penn State, South Carolina, and Minnesota.
Butler began his coaching career as an assistant at his alma mater, Catholic University, as a defensive backs coach before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 1996. He then progressed to Texas, where he served as a graduate assistant under both John Mackovic and Mack Brown in 1997 and 1998 respectively. After spending the next four years in the lower levels of college football, he returned to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) in 2003 with Harvard, where he worked as the linebackers coach and special teams coach. His first connection to Ted Roof came from 2007-2010 while working for the Minnesota Golden Gophers as the linebackers coach under Roof. The Houston Texans hired Butler as a defensive assistant in the off-season, but then was hired by South Carolina where he served for one year. Butler re-united with Roof on Bill O'Brien's staff at Penn State. After Roof moved back to his alma mater at Georgia Tech, Butler was promoted to defensive coordinator over two more experienced assistants, linebackers coach Ron Vanderlinden and defensive line coach Larry Johnson.
In early 2014, Butler left Penn State to join O'Brien's Houston Texans staff as secondary coach. On January 2, 2018 he was fired by the Houston Texans. On January 30, 2018 Butler was hired by the Buffalo Bills coaching staff under head coach and former high school teammate Sean McDermott.
- Haney, Travis (24 February 2011). "Butler USC's new special teams coach". The Post and Courier. Charleston, S.C. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Flounders, Bob (9 January 2013). "Headed Home: Penn State defensive coordinator Ted Roof leaves the Lions to take the Georgia Tech DC job". Harrisburg Patriot-News. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Butler Promoted to Nittany Lions' Defensive Coordinator". Penn State Official Athletic Site. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Texans move on from assistants Larry Izzo, John Butler, Charles London". chron.com. January 2, 2018. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "Bills hiring John Butler as new secondary coach". sportingnews.com. January 30, 2018. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- Wilson, Aaron (January 10, 2017). "Texans' John Butler has ties to Bills HC target Sean McDermott". Chron.com. Houston Chronicle. Retrieved October 31, 2018.