|Born||4 April 1979|
Hukou, Hsinchu, Taiwan
|Alma mater||Kuang-Fu High School|
|Labels||Chen Qiao En Studio|
|Associated acts||7 Flowers|
Known as the "Queen of Idol Dramas", Chen is known for her roles in The Prince Who Turns into a Frog (2005), Fated to Love You (2008) and The Queen of SOP (2012). She was nominated at the 43rd Golden Bell Awards for her role in Fated to Love You.
In 2013, Chen's popularity rose in China, where she gained a large number of fans for her role as Dongfang Bubai in the Chinese wuxia series Swordsman. Chen also entered the Forbes China Celebrity 100 List for the first time. She solidified her popularity in highly rated television series Cruel Romance (2015), Destined to Love You (2015), Stay with Me (2016) and Candle in the Tomb (2016).
Joe Chen began working as a model and assistant in 2001. She entered the entertainment industry after winning 1st place on Sanlih E-Television's talent show. In 2002, she began her acting career by taking on a supporting role in the television drama, Lavender. She also became a host for SET variety shows Zhong Guo Na Me Da and Zong Yi Qi Jian, alongside famous Taiwanese hosts Jacky Wu and NONO.
After being neglected by her company for six months, she attracted the attention of SET's executive Zong Limei, who cast her in 100% Senorita (2003). This was her first leading role. The drama became the highest rated Taiwanese drama then, and also achieved moderate success overseas. Joe then make her debut in Taiwanese girl group 7 Flowers the following year.
2005–2012: Rising popularity
Joe achieved breakthrough with her performance in The Prince Who Turns into a Frog (2005). The drama had a peak rating of 8.05, dethroning the previous record held by Meteor Garden to become the highest rated Taiwanese idol drama.
From 2006 to 2007, Joe began to host several Taiwanese variety programs like Treasure Hunter and Stylish Man – The Chef. She also starred in the dramas A Game About Love and Ying Ye 3 Jia 1.
In 2008, Joe starred in Fated to Love You opposite Ethan Juan, which beat Joe's previous drama, The Prince Who Turns into a Frog to become the highest rated Taiwanese idol drama. The drama also received popularity overseas, and was covered by America's Wall Street Journal. Joe was nominated for Best Actress in a TV Series at the 43rd Golden Bell Awards and was named "Queen of Idol Dramas" by Taipei Times.
Joe returned to idol dramas after 4 years in the romantic comedy drama The Queen of SOP, which was broadcast on Hunan TV in 2012. The Queen of SOP achieved high ratings and positive reviews, further boosting Joe's popularity in China. She also released an OST for the drama titled "Like to be Lonely", which topped the Baidu Chinese Music Charts for two weeks.
2013–present: Breakthrough in China, Theater debut and continued success
Joe rose to mainstream popularity in China after starring in the Chinese wuxia drama Swordsman, adapted from Louis Cha's novel The Smiling, Proud Wanderer. She portrayed the anti-heroine Dongfang Bubai. Though there were initial doubts to her characters (as Dongfang Bubai is a male in the original novel), Joe later won the hearts of the audience through her complex and rich portrayal of her character. Joe experienced a rise in popularity, and won the Most Popular Actress award at the 5th China TV Drama Awards. The same year, Joe made her debut in musical theater, starring as the female lead in The Woman on the Breadfruit Tree, based on Amy Cheung's novel of the same name. She was nominated as Best New Actress at the 4th One Drama Presentation for her performance.
In 2014, Joe starred in The Monkey King, portraying Princess Iron Fan. The film was a huge commercial success, grossing US$180 million internationally. She also featured in the road-trip comedy film The Continent, directed by Han Han.
In 2015, Joe starred in her first period drama, Cruel Romance alongside Huang Xiaoming. Cruel Romance achieved high ratings and was extremely popular during its run. Joe won the Best Actress in the Modern drama award at the 17th Huading Awards for her performance. Joe then starred in another period drama, Destined to Love You, written by Tong Hua. The same year, Joe returned to theater and reprised her role in The Woman on the Breadfruit Tree. She received acclaim for her performance, and was awarded Best Actress at the 4th Denny Awards. She also made a cameo appearance in the popular youth film, Our Times as the adult version of the female protagonist.[deprecated source]
In 2016, Joe paired up with Wang Kai for modern romance drama Stay with Me, which she co-produced. She co-starred with Jin Dong in the web drama Candle in the Tomb, adapted from the novel Ghost Blows Out the Light. Candle in the Tomb was a critical success, and received acclaim for its performance and faithful adaptation.
In 2017, Joe starred alongside Tong Dawei in the romance comedy drama Love Actually, which topped ratings and trending topics during its run. She subsequently returned to the big screen with two films – action comedy Big Brother alongside Donnie Yen and romance film Let's Cheat Together where she played the role of a mistress alongside frequent co-star Ming Dao.
In 2019, Joe starred alongside Chen Xiao in the historical television series Queen Dugu, playing the role of Dugu Qieluo. The same year, she was cast as Di Wu, a pilot in the aviation TV series New Horizon. However, due to the influence of COVID-19, New Horizon finally released in May. 27th, 2021 in iQiyi, Youku, and Tecent.
|Year||English title||Original title||Role||Notes|
|2011||The Allure of Tears||倾城之泪||Zhang Cai|||
|2012||Happiness Me Too||幸福迷途||Song Qi|||
|2014||The Monkey King||大闹天宫||Princess Iron Fan|
|Breaking the Waves||激浪青春||Ruan Xiaoyue|
|The Continent||后会无期||Zhou Mo|
|Youth Never Returns||既然青春留不住||Zhou Hui|||
|Our Times||我的少女时代||Lin Truly (adult)||Special appearance|
|Return of the Cuckoo||十月初五的月光||Qi Qi|||
|Forever Love||北京时间||Xue Yalan|||
|2017||Into the Rainbow||奇迹：追逐彩虹||Lian|||
|2018||Big Brother||大师兄||Liang Yingxin|
|Let's Cheat Together||市长夫人的秘密||Liao Yanling|
|Year||English title||Original title||Role||Network||Notes|
|2002||My MVP Valentine||MVP 情人||Fang Yixue / Barbie|
|2003||100% Senorita||千金百分百||Liang Xiaofeng / Zhuang Feiyang|
|老嫩大细||Liu Jinxing||Hakka TV|||
|2004||In Love with a Rich Girl||爱上千金美眉||Ai Bi (Albee)||TTV|||
|Red Woman is Flower||红色女人花||Luo Qiaoyun||FTV, ONTV|
|2005||The Doctor||大熊医师家||Xu Xiaoen||TTV, SETTV, CTS||Cameo|
|Sugo||Mei Li||GMA Network||Cameo|
|The Prince Who Turns into a Frog||王子变青蛙||Ye Tianyu||TTV, SETTV|
|2006||A Game About Love||剪刀石头布||Ye Duoli||CTS|
|2007||Ying Ye 3 Jia 1||樱野三加一||Xia Tian||TTV, SETTV|
|2008||Fated to Love You||命中注定我愛你||Chen Xinyi|
|Woody Sambo||无敌珊宝妹||Chen Xinyi||TTV||Cameo|
|2009||Easy Fortune Happy Life||福气又安康||Xie Fuan||TTV, SETTV|||
|Let's Dance||守着阳光守着你||Ding Xiaohan|||
|The Girl in Blue||佳期如夢||You Jiaqi||Hunan TV|
|2011||Youthful and Vibrant Zhu Nine Sister||春光灿烂猪九妹||Zhu Jiumei||Anhui TV|||
|2012||The Queen of SOP||胜女的代价||Lin Xiaojie||Hunan TV|
|Beauties of the Emperor||王的女人||Lu Yue / Empress Lu Zhi||Zhejiang TV, Shenzhen TV, Shanxi TV|||
|2013||Swordsman||笑傲江湖||Dongfang Bubai||Hunan TV|
|2015||Cruel Romance||锦绣缘华丽冒险||Rong Jinxiu|
|Destined to Love You||偏偏喜欢你||Qian Baobao|
|2016||Plastic Surgery Season||整容季||Wang Wenwen (Before)||Youku, Tudou||Cameo|
|Marry a Husband||嫁个老公过日子||Chen Jiayu||CCTV-8|||
|Stay with Me||放弃我抓紧我||Li Weiwei||Hunan TV||also producer|
|Candle in the Tomb||鬼吹灯之精绝古城||Shirley Yang||Tencent|
|2017||Love Actually||人间至味是清欢||An Qinghuan||Hunan TV|
|The Legendary Tycoon||传奇大亨||Rose||Zhejiang TV||Special appearance|
|2019||Queen Dugu||独孤皇后||Dugu Jialuo||iQiyi, Tencent, Youku|
|2021||New Horizon||壯志高飛||Wu Di||iQiyi, Tencent, Youku|||
|upcoming||Hello, My Shining Love||遇见璀璨的你||Dugu Ruonan||Tencent|
|Year||English title||Original title||Album||Notes|
|2006||"2 Sweet"||N/A||Magicians Of Love OST||with Ehlo Huang|
|"Don't Understand"||不明白||Love Story of Romeo & Juliet||with K One|
|2007||"Actually You Understand Me"||其实你懂我||Ying Ye 3 Jia 1 OST|
|"Believe Once Again"||再次相信||with Ming Dao|
|2012||"Like to be Lonely"||喜欢孤独||The Queen of SOP OST|
|2016||"Yes I Do"||N/A||Stay with Me OST|
|Published Year||English Title||Original Title||Press Name||Published Date||ISBN||Number of Pages||Notes|
|2007||Strategy Guide of Adventure from
Joe Chen and Sam Tseng
|放电人文||Aug. 2nd||ISBN 9789868353718||144|
|2008||Biography of Joe Chen||《乔见没》||尖端出版社||Apr. 4th||ISBN 9789571038339||96||including Cool Version
and Sweet Version
|2009||Joe in Paris||《乔见·巴黎》||KATE Publishing||Jun. 26th||ISBN 9789866606489||192||including common version
and rationed version
|Joe in Paris (in simplified Chinese)||《乔见·巴黎》（简体中文 第一版）||北方妇女儿童出版社||Aug. 1st||ISBN 9787538540567||165|
|2011||Joe & Cat||《乔见·猫》||KATE Publishing||Jun. 22nd||ISBN 9789866175299||176||including common version
and special version
|2013||Joe & Cat (in simplified Chinese)||《乔见·猫》���简体中文版）||漓江出版社||Apr. 1st||ISBN 9787540759773||171|||
|Joe in Paris II||《乔见·巴黎》（简体中文 第二版）||花城出版社||Aug. 13th||ISBN 9787536068353||176|
Awards and nominations
|2008||43rd Golden Bell Awards||Best Actress||Fated to Love You||Nominated|||
|2010||4th Huading Awards||Best Actress (Contemporary Drama)||Won|||
|2012||8th Huading Awards||Best Actress (Youth Drama)||The Queen of SOP||Nominated|||
|2013||5th China TV Drama Awards||Most Popular Actress (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Swordsman||Won|||
|4th One Drama Presentation||Best New Actress||The Woman on the Breadfruit Tree||Won|||
|2015||17th Huading Awards||Best Actress (Revolution-Era Drama)||Cruel Romance||Won|||
|12th China Movie Channel Awards||Best Actress||Youth Never Returns||Nominated|||
|4th Denny Award for International Excellence in Theatrical Arts||Best Actress||The Woman on the Breadfruit Tree||Won|||
|7th China TV Drama Awards||Most Commercially Valuable Actress||N/A||Won|||
|2016||19th Huading Awards||Best Actress (Revolution-Era Drama)||Destined to Love You||Nominated|
|8th China TV Drama Awards||Most Influential Actress (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Stay with Me||Won|||
- 独家专访陈乔恩：新一任台湾偶像剧收视女王(组图). Netease (in Chinese). 4 April 2008.
- 阮经天陈乔恩获封网友心中金钟帝后. Sohu (in Chinese). 5 November 2008. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "2013 Forbes China Celebrity 100 List, Fan Bingbing is top earner". Jayne Stars. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "2013 Forbes China Celebrity 100 List: Fan Bingbing in Top Spot". JayneStars. 24 April 2013.
- "2014 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. 6 May 2014.
- "2015 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. 13 May 2015.
- "2017 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. 22 September 2017.
- 陈乔恩：因为情绪化所以喜欢演戏 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 吴宗宪《综艺旗舰》再度开上华娱黄金时段 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 2 February 2005. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 林韦君陈乔恩芭比造型庆祝收视率狂飙 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 2 February 2005. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 《王子变青蛙》打破《流星花园》收视记录 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 23 July 2005. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "《型男大主厨》型男+美男 High翻天的娱乐饕餮". Tencent (in Chinese). 13 August 2007.
- 《剪子石头布》陈乔恩跳舞下腰 王绍伟撑不住. Tencent (in Chinese). 17 July 2007.
- 《剪子石头布》陈乔恩跳舞下腰 王绍伟撑不住. Tencent (in Chinese). 17 July 2007.
- 《命中注定我爱你》破台湾收视纪录 前晚大���局. Sohu (in Chinese). 26 August 2008.
- "Global Buzz: Why TV Show 'Fated to Love You' Is an Obsession in Taiwan". The Wall Street Journal. 10 July 2008. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 金钟奖戏剧节目女主角奖提名——陈乔恩 (in Chinese). Hunan TV. 24 October 2008. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 陈乔恩首度进军内地拍电视剧 将演"佳期小姐". Sohu (in Chinese). 11 December 2009. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 《佳期如梦》湖南卫视热播 陈乔恩内地大放异彩 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 9 June 2010. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Joe Chen plays a spicy teacher in 'Breaking the Waves'". China.org.cn. 29 April 2004.
- 《胜女的代价》上海热拍 陈乔恩本色出演"御姐". Netease (in Chinese). 1 November 2011.
- 《胜女的代价》收视飙高 传授胜女情感修炼秘籍. Tencent (in Chinese). 19 July 2012. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "《胜女的代价》片花MV曝光 陈乔恩亲自作词演唱". Tencent (in Chinese). 5 July 2012.
- 陈乔恩《笑傲江湖》引教主效应 被奉新一代女神. Sohu (in Chinese). 7 March 2013. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 陈乔恩《面包树上的女人》 张小娴作品首上舞台. Sohu (in Chinese). 17 October 2012. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 现代戏剧谷2013壹戏剧大赏公布入围名单 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 2 April 2013. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 《大鬧天宮》曝12款海報 衆星陣容強大 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Nancy Tartaglione and David Bloom (10 January 2015). "'Transformers 4′ Tops 2014's 100 Highest-Grossing International Films – Chart". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- 韩寒曝《后会无期》预告 定档7月24日 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 29 May 2014. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 《锦绣缘》首款海报 黄晓明陈乔恩1314倾城拥抱. Sohu (in Chinese). 31 December 2013.
- ""Cruel Romance " achieves high ratings". Jayne Stars. 5 March 2015.
- 《锦绣缘·华丽冒险》铸造收视神话. Nanning News (in Chinese). 9 March 2015.
- 2015年电视华鼎奖完整获奖名单 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 9 August 2017.
- 陳喬恩變身女教官 飛踢賈乃亮. China Times (in Chinese). 21 June 2015.
- 第四届丹尼奖获奖名单正式公布 《人民公敌》获最佳剧目奖. China.com (in Chinese). 2 September 2015.
- 继刘德华陈乔恩出演新片 言承旭也上阵. Epoch Times (in Chinese). 22 July 2015.
- 《放弃我》首曝阵容海报 陈乔恩高冷王凯霸道. Netease (in Chinese). 14 January 2016.
- "《放弃我抓紧我》稳居收视冠军 女性话题引共鸣". NetEase. 26 February 2017.
- 《鬼吹灯》曝新预告 靳东陈乔恩12月19日探秘古城. ifeng (in Chinese). 7 December 2016.
- "《鬼吹灯之精绝古城》收视口碑爆棚 弹幕互动也引发热议". Youth.cn. 20 December 2016. Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- 《人间至味是清欢》收官 佟大为陈乔恩甜出新高度 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 11 September 2017.
- 甄子丹《大师兄》定档8.17 陈乔恩学生时代被排挤. 1905.com (in Chinese). 21 June 2018.
- 《市长夫人》删减画面曝光！陈乔恩明道合体了 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 15 May 2016.
- 《独孤皇后》曝金阙展图海报 陈乔恩陈晓共开盛世 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 28 September 2017.
- 《壮志高飞》首曝概念海报 陈乔恩郑恺上演制服诱惑. ifeng (in Chinese). 29 August 2017.
- 网易 (23 August 2020). "拒绝大尺度遭雪藏，服软6年拍6部戏，走红后强势解约，今活得潇洒". www.163.com. Retrieved 11 June 2021.
- 《倾城之泪》曝陈乔恩窦骁"第三滴泪"预告片 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 6 December 2011.
- 《幸福迷途》温暖上映 陈乔恩邵兵教你说爱 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 23 October 2012.
- 《最佳嫌疑人》苏有朋摆阵对戏陈乔恩 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 3 September 2013.
- 《我是女王》曝剧照 陈乔恩被小三遭虐爱 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 17 October 2014.
- 《既然青春留不住》定档9.18 张翰陈乔恩 新海报演绎怀旧"琼瑶风". Mtime (in Chinese). 9 July 2015.
- 《十月初五的月光》张智霖陈乔恩谈情 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 14 April 2015.
- 陈乔恩新片《北京时间》首曝预告 工装素颜上演跨越50年的纯情爱恋. Mtime (in Chinese). 26 November 2015.
- 《奇迹：追逐彩虹》杀青 吴磊陈乔恩成亡命姐弟. Tencent (in Chinese). 25 October 2015.
- 戴士堯陳喬恩客家台挑樑. Apple Daily (in Chinese). 1 July 2013.
- 许孟哲陈乔恩《爱上千金美眉》二月上演(组图) (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 15 February 2008.
- 《福气又安康》收视庆功 陈乔恩被架上摩天轮 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 30 June 2009.
- 《守着阳光守着你》明道陈乔恩连手红不让(图) (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 31 October 2008.
- 《春光灿烂猪���妹》热播 乔任梁牵手陈乔恩(图) (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 23 March 2011.
- =陈乔恩演吕后 自称最与众不同的《王的女���》. Tencent (in Chinese). 29 April 2011.
- 《整容季》陈乔恩分饰两角 上线或成热点话题 (in Chinese). Xinhua News Agency. 15 March 2016.
- 《嫁个老公过日子》热拍 张译陈乔恩感情升温. Sohu (in Chinese). 25 April 2014.
- 《传奇大亨》张翰携陈乔恩宋轶演绎传奇 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 18 November 2016.
- "航空大剧《壮志高飞》开播". www.sxycrb.com. Retrieved 11 June 2021.
- 陈乔恩 (2008). 喬見沒. 尖端出版. ISBN 978-957-10-3833-9.
- 陈乔恩 (April 2013). 乔见·猫. 漓江出版社. ISBN 978-7-5407-5977-3.
- 陈乔恩获第四届华鼎奖电视剧都市类最佳女演员. Youku (in Chinese). Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 2012华鼎奖中国百强电视剧提名名单. NetEase (in Chinese). 9 November 2012. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 陈乔恩获得港台人气女演员奖. Sohu (in Chinese). 30 December 2013. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 《煎饼侠》获传媒大奖新人导演和新人演员奖. Sohu (in Chinese). 21 June 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 2015国剧盛典获奖名单 范冰冰胡歌获最佳 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 1 January 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- 2016–2017安徽卫视国剧盛典获奖名单完整版. KKnews (in Chinese). 1 January 2017. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joe Chen.|