|Full name||Joe E. Campbell|
|Born||November 5, 1935|
|Height||5 ft 8.5 in (1.74 m)|
|Weight||175 lb (79 kg; 12.5 st)|
|Former tour(s)||PGA Tour|
|Number of wins by tour|
|Best results in major championships|
|Masters Tournament||T29: 1958|
|PGA Championship||T27: 1962|
|U.S. Open||T22: 1957|
|The Open Championship||DNP|
Campbell was born in Anderson, Indiana, where he attended Anderson High School – leading the Indians to IHSAA state titles in 1952 and 1953; winning the individual championships in both years. He attended Purdue University, where he was a member of the golf team as well as a co-captain of the basketball team. He won the 1955 NCAA Championship as Purdue finished 2nd in the team standings, he was also the 1956 and 1957 Big Ten Conference Champion and led Purdue to the 1955 and 1956 Big Ten Team Championships. During his amateur career, he won the Indiana Amateur three times, the Indiana Open twice, and the Sunnehanna Amateur in 1957. His best finish in a major championship, which came during his amateur career, was T-22 at the 1957 U.S. Open. He was also a member of the United States' 1956 Americas Cup and 1957 Walker Cup team, leading the Americans to an 8½–3½ victory over Great Britain.
Campbell turned professional in 1958 and joined the PGA Tour in 1959 and competed for fourteen years. He received Golf Digest's Rookie-of-the-Year award in 1959. His 43 top-10 finishes included three wins, seven runner-up and six third-place finishes; he finished in top-25 103 times. He played on the Senior PGA Tour from 1986–89 and 1995–96, his best finish was a T-24th at the 1987 Bank One Senior Golf Classic.
Campbell made his home in Knoxville, Tennessee after graduating from college in 1957 until 1974. After his days as a tour professional were over, he was the golf professional at Knoxville's Whittle Springs from 1967–1974. In 1974, he became the men's golf team coach at Purdue, leading them to the 1981 Big Ten Championship and 24 Invitational titles, he retired following the 1993 season. Campbell is a member of the Indiana Golf Hall of Fame, inducted in 1969; the Purdue Intercollegiate Athletics Hall of Fame in 2001 and the Tennessee Golf Hall of Fame, inducted in 2007.
Amateur wins (11)
- 1952 IHSAA Boys State Champion
- 1953 IHSAA Boys State Champion
- 1954 Indiana Amateur
- 1955 Indiana Amateur, Indiana Boys Junior, NCAA Championship (individual)
- 1956 Indiana Amateur, Indiana Boys Junior, Big Ten Conference Championship (individual)
- 1957 Sunnehanna Amateur, Big Ten Conference Championship (individual)
Professional wins (15)
PGA Tour wins (3)
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning score||Margin of
|1||Nov 12, 1961||Beaumont Open Invitational||−7 (72-71-68-66=277)||1 stroke||Bert Weaver|
|2||Mar 4, 1962||Baton Rouge Open Invitational||−14 (68-70-67-69=274)||2 strokes||Bob Rosburg|
|3||Feb 20, 1966||Tucson Open Invitational||−10 (69-70-69-70=278)||Playoff||Gene Littler|
PGA Tour playoff record (1–2)
|1||1962||Bing Crosby National Pro-Am||Doug Ford||Lost to par on first extra hole|
|2||1966||Tucson Open Invitational||Gene Littler||Won with birdie on first extra hole|
|3||1967||Azalea Open Invitational||Randy Glover||Lost to birdie on second extra hole|
Other wins (12)
- 1955 Indiana Open (as amateur)
- 1956 Indiana Open (as amateur)
- 1958 Tennessee Open
- 1965 Tennessee Open, Tennessee PGA Championship
- 1966 Tennessee PGA Championship
- 1967 Tennessee PGA Championship
- 1970 Tennessee PGA Championship
- 1972 Tennessee PGA Championship
- 1973 Tennessee Open
- 1977 Indiana Open
- 1981 Indiana Open
U.S. national team appearances
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2019-04-24. Retrieved 2014-11-23.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Indiana Amateur Championship". Archived from the original on November 29, 2014. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Joe Campbell biographical information". Golf House Tennessee. Archived from the original on July 11, 2011. Retrieved December 6, 2007.
- "Golf Major Championships". Archived from the original on November 10, 2007. Retrieved January 24, 2008.
- "2001 Hall of Fame: Joe Campbell". May 20, 2010. Archived from the original on April 5, 2013. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- "Tennessee Golf Hall of Fame – Charter Members". Archived from the original on December 11, 2013. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-09-18. Retrieved 2018-09-18.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2015-06-14.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)