He was a member of the New York State Senate (10th D.) from 1919 to 1944, sitting in the 142nd, 143rd, 144th, 145th, 146th, 147th, 148th, 149th, 150th, 151st, 152nd, 153rd, 154th, 155th, 156th, 157th, 158th, 159th, 160th, 161st, 162nd, 163rd and 164th New York State Legislatures; and was Chairman of the Committee on Finance from 1933 to 1938.
He died on October 3, 1963, in Queens General Hospital in Jamaica, Queens.
- "Guide for Voters by Citizens Union" (PDF). The New York Times. October 28, 1917.
- "Palma J. Twomey's Plans; State Senator's Daughter to Be Wed to W. A. Sullivan Dec. 28". The New York Times. November 24, 1935.
- "J. F. Twomey, 89, Ex-State Senator". The New York Times. October 4, 1963.
- Twomey family at Ancestry.com
- The State Employee (Vol. 6, No. 5; June 1937; with portrait on pg. 9)
|New York State Assembly|
James J. Phelan
| New York State Assembly
Kings County, 15th District
Christian J. McWilliams
|New York State Senate|
Alfred J. Gilchrist
| New York State Senate
James A. Corcoran