Iowa's 5th congressional district is an obsolete congressional district in the U.S. state of Iowa. It was last represented by Republican Steve King, who continued to serve in the United States House of Representative after the district's obsolescence as a representative of Iowa's 4th congressional district.
The district became obsolete for the 113th Congress in 2013 as Iowa lost a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives as a result of redistricting based upon the 2010 Census. Official redistricting maps divided the territory in this district in half, attaching the northern half to the 4th district and the southern half to the 3rd district.
Iowa's 5th congressional district was redistricted in 1942. U.S. Representative Karl M. LeCompte became the representative of Iowa's 4th congressional district, and U.S. Representative Paul H. Cunningham was the representative from Iowa's 6th congressional district.
Iowa's 5th congressional district was also redistricted in 1972. U.S. Representative Neal Smith was taken out of Iowa's 5th congressional district and put in the 4th congressional district. U.S. Representative William J. Scherle was taken out of Iowa's 7th congressional district (which was permanently removed) and put into the 5th congressional district where he ran against future U.S. Senator Tom Harkin.
On June 22, 2001, the Iowa General Assembly passed a plan to redistrict the state of Iowa. The plan went into effect in 2002 for the 108th U.S. Congress. The prior redistricting plan was effective from 1992–2001.
Presidential election results
Election results from presidential races:
|2000||President||George W. Bush 57% – Al Gore 40%|
|2004||President||George W. Bush 60% – John Kerry 39%|
|2008||President||John McCain 54% – Barack Obama 44%|
List of members representing the district
- The resolution of the contest was delayed until the final hours of the Forty-eighth Congress, so Frederick was not declared winner until March 4, 1885.
Historical election results
Recent election results
|Independent||Martin James Monroe||3,622||1.86|
- "2001 Iowa Redistricting Plan,". 2001. Archived from the original on 2006-10-16. Retrieved 2006-11-10.
- "Election Statistics,". 2005. Archived from the original on 2007-07-25.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-04-08. Retrieved 2009-02-10.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1982). The Historical Atlas of United States Congressional Districts. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present