|Industry||Media and entertainment|
|Headquarters||135 Liberty Street|
|John Brunton (CEO)|
|Parent||Boat Rocker Media (majority owner)|
Insight Productions was established in 1970 by Penray "Pen" Densham and John Kingsley Watson.
In December 1978, John Brunton, assistant editor and director with Insight, bought the rights to the company from Densham and Watson, becoming President and CEO.
Insight Productions has created programs in several genres (documentary, drama, sports, variety, comedy, music, reality), and has adapted to shifting tastes, technology and formats. Canadian Idol, an Insight-produced iteration of the successful international format, aired between 2004 and 2008 to record-breaking audiences.
Insight Productions is also credited with revamping Canada’s national music awards, The JUNO Awards. By moving the show from a theatre to an arena setting, Insight was ultimately able to take the show on the road to cities across the country.
Recent productions include, Big Brother Canada, Amazing Race Canada, Canada’s New Year’s Eve: Countdown to 2021, Every Child Matters: Reconciliation Through Education, The JUNO Awards, Wall of Chefs, Battle of the Blades, Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind, The Launch, Canada's Walk Of Fame, Top Chef Canada, I Do, Redo, The Tragically Hip: A National Celebration, and Stronger Together, Tous Ensemble. On April 13th 2021, Amazon Prime Video announced Jay Baruchel will host a Canadian version of LOL: Last One Laughing to be produced by Insight Productions.
The company's television series projects include:
- Are You Smarter Than A Canadian Fifth Grader?
- A Russell Peters Christmas
- A Christmas Fury
- Amazing Race Canada
- The Artistry Of Torvill and Dean
- Battle of the Blades
- Big Brother Canada
- Canada Day 150
- Canada's Got Talent
- Canadian Idol
- Canada's Walk Of Fame
- Canada’s New Year’s Eve: Countdown to 2021
- Deal or No Deal Canada
- Disney's Animal Kingdom: The First Adventure
- Every Child Matters: Reconciliation Through Education
- Falcon Beach
- Hatching, Matching & Dispatching
- Heart Of Gold
- The Goods
- How To Look Good Naked Canada
- I Do, Redo
- It's Only Rock N' Roll
- Intervention Canada
- Jamie & David: A Golden Homecoming
- Jann Arden: Live At Last
- Joni Mitchell: Painting With Words And Music
- The Jon Dore Television Show
- The JUNO Awards
- Kurt Browning: Ice Legends
- Kurt Browning: You Must Remember This
- Kurt Browning: Tall In The Saddle
- The Launch
- LOL: Last One Laughing Canada
- Much Music VJ Search: The Series
- Music Without Borders
- Never Ever Do This At Home
- One World: The Concert For Tsunami Relief
- Open Mike with Mike Bullard
- Project Runway Canada
- Ready or Not
- Test Pattern
- Top Chef Canada
- Saying Goodbye
- Scott Hamilton: Upside Down
- The Sean Cullen Show
- Sean Cullen Home For Christmas
- Sonic Temple
- Star Racer
- Stars On Ice
- Stolen Hearts
- Stronger Together, Tous Ensemble
- The Truth About Alex
- Toller Cranston: A Tribute
- Wall of Chefs
- The Wave
The company's documentary projects include:
- How To Change The World
- Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind
- The Tragically Hip: A National Celebration
- Comedy Gold: The Hilarious Story of Canadian Comedy
The company's digital projects include:
- Joke or Choke
- But I'm Chris Jericho!
- "Insight Productions | Media Commons". mediacommons.library.utoronto.ca. University of Toronto. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- "John Brunton". Variety. 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2021-02-18.
- "Insight Productions - Discover Archives". discoverarchives.library.utoronto.ca. Retrieved 2021-02-23.
- "INSIGHT PRODUCTIONS". Ontario Creates. Retrieved 2021-02-23.
- ""Canadian Idol" | The Canadian Encyclopedia". www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca. Retrieved 2021-02-23.
- "JOHN BRUNTON". Retrieved 2021-02-23.
- General, Office of the Secretary to the Governor. "Barbara M. Bowlby". The Governor General of Canada. Retrieved 2021-02-23.
- General, Office of the Secretary to the Governor. "Mr. John M. Brunton". The Governor General of Canada. Retrieved 2021-02-23.
- Ahearn, Victoria (24 February 2020). "Insight Productions faces Ontario class action lawsuit over unpaid wages - CityNews Toronto". toronto.citynews.ca. Toronto, Ontario: Citytv. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- Canada, Amazon. "Amazon Prime Video Announces Jay Baruchel as Host of the Canadian Edition of the Global Amazon Original Hit Format Lol: Last One Laughing Canada". www.newswire.ca. Retrieved 2021-05-04.
- Canada's New Year's Eve: A Countdown to 2021, retrieved 2021-03-04
- "Every Child Matters: Reconciliation through Education". Decoda Literacy Solutions. 2020-09-30. Retrieved 2021-03-04.
- Tosoni, Joan, Joni Mitchell: Painting with Words and Music (Music), Brian Blade, Mark Isham, Greg Leisz, Joni Mitchell, retrieved 2021-03-05
- But I'm Chris Jericho! (TV Series 2013– ) - IMDb, retrieved 2021-03-04