|Born||Hull, England 1964|
|Notable works||The North Water|
Ian McGuire (born 1964) is an English author and academic. In 1996 he joined the University of Manchester as a lecturer in American Literature and later lectured in Creative Writing. He was Co-Director of the Centre for New Writing and is currently a Senior Lecturer.
McGuire is from Hull, East Yorkshire and studied at the University of Manchester, later he received a MA from the University of Sussex then a Ph.D in 19th Century American Literature from the University of Virginia. He has published stories in the Paris Review and Chicago Review among others. He has published articles on Walt Whitman, Herman Melville and William Dean Howells and his sphere of interest is the American realist tradition from 1880s onwards. His biography of Richard Ford an American short story writer "... argues that Ford’s work is best understood as a form of pragmatic realism and thus positions him as part of a deeply rooted and ongoing American debate about the nature of realism and pragmatism." The novel The North Water's strength "lies in its well-researched detail and persuasive descriptions of the cold, violence, cruelty and the raw, bloody business of whale-killing."
- 2006 Incredible Bodies, Bloomsbury Publishing ISBN 9781408882474
- 2016 The North Water, Simon & Schuster (UK)/Scribner (UK), and Henry Holt and Company (USA) ISBN 9781250118141
- 2020 The Abstainer, Simon & Schuster (UK) /Scribner (UK), and Random House (USA) ISBN 9780593133873
- 2015 Richard Ford and the Ends of Realism, University of Iowa Press
Historical Writers' Association Gold Crown Award
- "North Water (McGuire) - Author Bio". Lit Lovers. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Centre for New Writing Dr Ian McGuire". University of Manchester. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Ian McGuire Tee Red Monk". Paris Review. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Richard Ford and the Ends of Realism". University of Iowa Press. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "The North Water by Ian McGuire review – a voyage into the heart of darkness 19 February 2016". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Man Booker Prize 2016 : the longlist in pictures". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "The 10 Best Books of 2016". New York Times. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "Royal Society of Literature Encore Award 2017" (PDF). Royal Society of Literature. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Historical Writers' Association Gold Crown Award".
- "Ian McGuire". Bloomsbury Publishing. Retrieved 7 December 2016.