In philately, the Higgins & Gage World Postal Stationery Catalog is the most recent encyclopedic catalogue of postal stationery covering the whole world. Despite most volumes not having been updated for over thirty years, the catalogue and the H & G numbering system are still widely used by philatelists and stamp dealers although the values given in the catalogue are out of date.
The catalogue was published between 1964 and 1986 and comprises nineteen alphabetical volumes with supplements. The earlier volumes were edited by Edward Fladung who worked with Alexander D. Gage in the production of the catalogue. Later editions were edited by Melvin Feiner.
Originally published by Higgins & Gage Inc., the catalogue has now been acquired by Classic Philatelics of Huntington Beach, Pasadena, California. Classic Philatelics also produce a new issue postal stationery report.
List of volumes
(Titles from most recent editions)
- Vol.1 Abu Dhabi to Azores
- Vol.2 Baden to Bushire
- Vol.3 Cameroons to Czechoslovakia
- Vol.4 Dahomey to Dutch New Guinea
- Vol.5 East Africa to Ethiopia
- Vol.6 Falkland Islands to Funchal
- Vol.7 Gabon to Guyana
- Vol.8 Haiti to Hungary
- Vol.9 Iceland to Ivory Coast
- Vol.10 Jamaica to Kuwait
- Vol.11 Labuan to Luxemburg
- Vol.12 Macao to Muscat
- Vol.13 Natal to Orange River Colony
- Vol.14 Pakistan to Queensland
- Vol.15 Reunion Islands to Ryukyu Islands
- Vol.16 Sarr to Syria
- Vol.17 Tahiti to Turks & Caicos Islands
- Vol.18 Ubangi to Uruguay
- Vol.19 Vatican City to Zululand
- American Philatelic Research Library catalogue search 6 April 2009 Library Home Page
- Negus, James. (1991) Philatelic literature, compilation techniques and reference sources. Limassol, Cyprus: James Bendon. pp. 159-160. ISBN 9963762433
- Ed Fladung died March 1977, Tell, American Helvetia Philatelic Society, April–May 1980, p. 76.--Date of death for Edward G. Fladung, editor of World Postal Stationery Catalog is 3 March 1980, not 1977 (information contributed by his daughter, Jill R. Hillary).
- Gage and Fladung jointly received the 1977 Distinguished Service Award for Valuable Contributions to the Advancement and Enrichment of Philately from the Federated Philatelic Clubs of Southern California.
- "Some Observations on Higgins & Gage", in the Australasian Informer, August 1976.
- "The Higgins and Gage Story, Wayne Menuz, originally published in the Journal of the Postal Stationery Society Issue No 4 (August 1994) and Issue No 5 (February 1995)