|• Mayor (2020–26)||Christian Schiller (Ind.)|
|• Total||20.88 km2 (8.06 sq mi)|
|Elevation||568 m (1,864 ft)|
|• Density||520/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Vehicle registration||STA, WOR|
Situated at one terminus of the Munich S-Bahn line , the village is popular with travellers for its water-sports and as the starting point of trips to the Benedictine Andechs Abbey. Herrsching is also a stop for touring steamships of the Bavarian Seenschiffahrt or lake fleet.
Prior to WW-II Herrsching was home to the "Reichsfinanzschule Hersching" (finance school). In 1945-1946 the school was converted into a POW hospital and rehab facility for soldiers who had lost limbs.
Notable sights include
- the lake-front promenade (at about 5 km, the longest one in Germany)
- Kurparkschlössl (Little castle), built in 1888 by the artist Ludwig Scheuermann
- Historic paddle-wheel steamships Herrsching and Diessen docking at the harbour in summer
- St. Martin's church
- Zur Post Gasthof from 1567
- Archaeological Park, a 7th-century settlement of the Bavarians.
- Rainer Rene Graf Adelmann von Adelmannsfelden (born 1948), former lawyer
- Arno Assmann (1908–1979), actor
- Martin Benrath (1926–2000), actor
- Helene Böhlau (1856–1940), writer, buried in Widdersberg
- David Coverdale (born 1951), singer of the band Deep Purple 1973-1976
- Roderich Fick, (1886–1955), architect, lived and worked in the "Old Mill", Mühlfeld from 1920 to 1955
- Camilla Horn (1903–1996), actress
- Clemens Kuby (born 1947), documentary filmmaker and author
- Christian Morgenstern (1871–1914), poet: his widow Margareta lived from 1919 until her death in 1968 in Breitbrunn.
- Burkard Freiherr von Müllenheim-Rechberg (1910—2003), naval officer and diplomat
- Alfred Ploetz (1860–1940), physician
- Rudi Schuricke (1913–1973), singer, actor, lived from 1955 to 1973 in Herrsching, owner of the former Hotel Seespitz
- Klaus Wennemann (1940–2000), actor
- Harald Winter (born 1953), artist
- Liste der ersten Bürgermeister/Oberbürgermeister in kreisangehörigen Gemeinden, Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik, 15 July 2021.
- "Tabellenblatt "Daten 2", Statistischer Bericht A1200C 202041 Einwohnerzahlen der Gemeinden, Kreise und Regierungsbezirke". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). June 2021.
- "Hotel Gasthof zur Post". Hotel Gasthof zur Post. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Herrsching am Ammersee.|