|Common hepatic duct|
|Latin||ductus hepaticus communis|
The common hepatic duct is the first part of the biliary tract. It is formed by the convergence of the right hepatic duct (which drains bile from the right functional lobe of the liver) and the left hepatic duct (which drains bile from the left functional lobe of the liver). It then joins the cystic duct coming from the gallbladder to form the common bile duct.
Around 1.7% of people have additional accessory hepatic ducts that join onto the common hepatic duct.
Rarely, the common hepatic duct joins onto the gallbladder directly, leading to illness.
The common hepatic ducts carries a higher volume of bile in people who have had their gallbladder removed.
The common hepatic duct is an important anatomic landmark during surgeries such as cholecystectomy. It forms one edge of Calot's triangle, along with the cystic duct and the cystic artery. All constituents of this triangle must be identified to avoid cutting or clipping the wrong structure.
This gallery of anatomic features needs cleanup to abide by the medical manual of style.
- Standring S, Borley NR, eds. (2008). Gray's anatomy : the anatomical basis of clinical practice. Brown JL, Moore LA (40th ed.). London: Churchill Livingstone. pp. 1163, 1177, 1185–6. ISBN 978-0-8089-2371-8.
- Manohar, Rohan; Lagasse, Eric (2014-01-01), Lanza, Robert; Langer, Robert; Vacanti, Joseph (eds.), "Chapter 45 - Liver Stem Cells", Principles of Tissue Engineering (Fourth Edition), Boston: Academic Press, pp. 935–950, doi:10.1016/b978-0-12-398358-9.00045-8, ISBN 978-0-12-398358-9, retrieved 2021-01-26
- Bergman, Simon; Geisinger, Kim R. (2008-01-01), Bibbo, Marluce; Wilbur, David (eds.), "CHAPTER 14 - Alimentary Tract (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine, Colon, Rectum, Anus, Biliary Tract)", Comprehensive Cytopathology (Third Edition), Edinburgh: W.B. Saunders, pp. 373–408, ISBN 978-1-4160-4208-2, retrieved 2021-01-26
- Gray's Anatomy, 39th ed, p. 1228
- Portmann, Bernard C.; Roberts, Eve A. (2012-01-01), Burt, Alastair D.; Portmann, Bernard C.; Ferrell, Linda D. (eds.), "3 - Developmental abnormalities and liver disease in childhood", MacSween's Pathology of the Liver (Sixth Edition), Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, pp. 101–156, ISBN 978-0-7020-3398-8, retrieved 2021-01-26
- Hoeffel, Christine; Azizi, Louisa; Lewin, Maité; Laurent, Valérie; Aubé, Christophe; Arrivé, Lionel; Tubiana, Jean-Michel (2006). "Normal and Pathologic Features of the Postoperative Biliary Tract at 3D MR Cholangiopancreatography and MR Imaging". RadioGraphics. 26 (6): 1603–1620. doi:10.1148/rg.266055730. ISSN 0271-5333. PMID 17102039.
- Katz, Seth S. (2017-01-01), Jarnagin, William R. (ed.), "Chapter 18 - Computed tomography of the liver, biliary tract, and pancreas", Blumgart's Surgery of the Liver, Biliary Tract and Pancreas, 2-Volume Set (Sixth Edition), Philadelphia: Elsevier, pp. 316–357.e6, ISBN 978-0-323-34062-5, retrieved 2021-01-26