This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2009)
|Address||145 6th Avenue|
New York City
|Public transit||'New York City Subway: at Spring Street|
1 and 2 at Houston Street
N, Q, R, and ���W at Prince Street
NYCT Bus: M21, M6
Dorothy B. Williams: 71
HERE Arts Center is a New York City off-off-Broadway presenting house, founded in 1993. Their location includes two stages specializing in hybrid performance, dance, theater, multi-media and puppetry in addition to art exhibition space and a cafe. Since 1993, HERE reports having supported over 14,000 artists and hosting approximately 1,000,000 audience members.
HERE is located in Hudson Square, SoHo on 145 Avenue of the Americas, New York, between Spring Street and Broome Street. In 2008 the space underwent extensive renovations which saw the venue take its current form.
Since 1993, HERE has served over 14,000 emerging to mid-career artists. Examples include Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monologues, Basil Twist's Symphonie Fantastique, and Young Jean Lee's Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven. Work produced and presented at HERE has garnered 13 OBIE awards, an OBIE grant for artistic achievement, a 2006 Edwin Booth Award (“for Outstanding Contribution to NY Theatre”) from the CUNY Graduate Center, three Drama Desk nominations, two Berrilla Kerr Awards, four NY Innovative Theatre Awards and a Pulitzer Prize nomination. In 2005, HERE purchased its long-time home and completed a complete renovation in 2008, all through a five-year, $5 million “Secure HERE’s Future” campaign. There are two theatres, a cafe, gallery, and support spaces.
January 2013 marked the launch of the PROTOTYPE Opera/Theater/Now festival featuring contemporary artists from around the world. The festival lasts for less than two weeks and works are staged at various venues around New York City.
- Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monologues
- Basil Twist's Symphonie Fantastique
- Hazelle Goodman's On Edge
- Young Jean Lee's Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven
- Faye Driscoll's 837 Venice Boulevard
- Basil Twist and Joey Arias's Arias with a Twist
- Mohammed Fairouz's Sumeida's Song
- 2016 world premiere of Hansol Jung's Among the Dead
- Norman, Robert (2016-11-14). "Review: Among the Dead at HERE". Exeunt Magazine. Retrieved 2021-06-15.
- Official website
- HERE Theatre Specs from Fractured Atlas SpaceFinder
- PROTOTYPE Festival Homepage
- HERE Overview at NYC Arts
- all wear bowlers Official website