This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Legal status||Non-profit organisation and registered charity|
|Purpose||Careers research of graduates in the UK and supporting graduate recruitment via university careers services|
|UK and Republic of Ireland|
|Higher education institutions and graduate employers|
|Prof Mark Smith|
|Universities UK and GuildHE|
The Higher Education Careers Service Unit is an independent research charity based in Manchester for the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland, specialising in higher education and graduate employment. It funds research projects for the higher education careers sector, and conducts research into graduate employment and career decision-making on behalf of its own members and external funding bodies.
It is a registered charity, formed in 1972, and is an agency of Universities UK and GuildHE. The commercial part of HECSU, CSU, changed its name to Graduate Prospects in July 2003. In 2020 HECSU merged with Jisc.
Its most recognisable function is to produce the Prospects series of booklets with information about graduate careers. Graduate Prospects is the commercial arm of HECSU and provides careers information and services to students, graduates, university careers advisory services, employers and others.
The group produces statistical information on the destination of graduates from particular universities and courses.
The research strategy adopted by HECSU has five themes:
- Practitioner research
- Labour market information
- Careers guidance
- International comparisons
- Career learning and development
HECSU aims to:
- Improve the dissemination of information about higher education and graduate employment
- Contribute to knowledge of student and graduate career development and employment by conducting and commissioning research
- Work with careers advisers, academic staff, and employers to support graduate employability
Main work includes:
|Type||Division of a registered charity|
|Headquarters||Manchester, England, United Kingdom|
- Higher Education Statistics Agency
- List of UK Careers Advisory Services
- Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services
- ASET (professional body)
- https://www.jisc.ac.uk/news/jisc-and-hecsu-prospects-announce-merger-01-may-2020. Missing or empty