|Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust|
|Type||NHS foundation trust|
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust is an NHS foundation trust of the English National Health Service, one of the prestigious Shelford Group. It runs Guy's Hospital in London Bridge, St Thomas' Hospital in Waterloo, Evelina London Children's Hospital, two specialist heart and lung hospitals, Royal Brompton and Harefield and community services in Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham.
In December 2013 it was announced that a proposed merger with King's College Hospital and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust foundation trusts had been suspended because of doubts about the reaction of the Competition Commission. In 2019 it was closely involved with Kings, with which it shares its chair, Sir Hugh Taylor, its strategy director and IT director.
In 2014 the Trust established ETL (Essentia Trading Limited), a unique multidisciplinary consultancy that enables public and private sector organisations to transform their environments and create a meaningful legacy. ETL re-invest profits within the Trust. ETL provides infrastructure advisory services in healthcare, higher education, science and research sectors across capital development, cost management, project and programme management, property consultancy, health strategy and planning and sustainability.
It is one of the biggest provider of specialised services in England, which generated an income of £383.7 million in 2014/5.
In October 2018 it had to impose geographical limits on specialist paediatric referrals for dermatology and urology after a large increase in referrals from North London, Kent and Sussex made the waiting times unmanageable.
The Trust offers a range of services privately including assisted conception, services for children and maternity. Other complex care specialties including cardiology, vascular and thoracic surgery, gynaecology, general surgery and medicine are available at the Westminster Unit. Guy's and St Thomas' Private Healthcare also specialise in adult and children’s renal transplantation and operate one of the largest programmes in Europe.
The Trust entered into a contract with Johnson & Johnson in November 2017 for £310 million thought to run for 10 years. It includes a "managed service agreement" for the procurement of prosthetics, surgical instruments and other consumables for orthopaedic surgery and the development of eight new operating theatres on the Guy's hospital site.
- "Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust". NHS Partners. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Trust super-merger shelved". Health Service Journal. 5 December 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- "NHS DNA scheme to fight cancer and genetic diseases". BBC News. 22 December 2014. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Viapath – a New Brand, Same Commitment to Transform Pathology Services". Select Science. 9 May 2014. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Analysed: The biggest NHS providers of specialised services". Health Service Journal. 16 October 2015. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "Major tertiary provider restricts out-of-area referrals". Health Service Journal. 31 October 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "GUY'S AND ST THOMAS' NHS FOUNDATION TRUST Trust opens privately-run specialist centre". Health Service Journal. 30 April 2019. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- "NHS expands private care to help fill £20bn funding gap". Financial Times. 2 March 2016. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "Trust awards £300m orthopaedics contract to US firm". Health Service Journal. 17 November 2017. Retrieved 28 December 2017.