Guddu Dhanoa is an Indian writer, producer and director. He is mainly known for making Hindi films. He directed several action films, most notably Ziddi, starring Sunny Deol, and Bichhoo, starring Bobby Deol.
He started as a producer for Shahrukh Khan who starred in Dhanoa's 1992 film Deewana. He directed 1997 film Ziddi starring Sunny Deol which was a success at the box office. This commoner turned gangster action flick film did a business of 20 Crore on a budget of Rs 8 Crore and considered a milestone in the career of Dhanoa and Sunny deol. His other Hindi language films as a director includes Elaan (1994)Tu Chor Main Sipahi (1996), Aflatoon (1997), Bichhoo (2000), 23rd March 1931: Shaheed (2002), Hawa (2003), Jaal: The Trap (2003) and Big Brother. In 2011 Ramtaa Jogi (2015) he directed Punjabi language film The Lion of Punjab. His 1997 film Aflatoon is the only movie featuring Bollywood star Akshay Kumar and Urmila Matondkar together on screen.
In year 2000, Dhanoa produced and directed a revenge drama film Bichhoo with Bobby Deol and Rani Mukherjee. The film was an unofficial remake of a French film. A sequel of this film was also planned which never went into production. In 2002, he directed 23rd March 1931: Shaheed with Bobby deol playing the lead role of Shaheed Bhagat Singh and Sunny Deol playing freedom fighter Chandra Shekhar Azad. The film clashed at the box office with Legend of Bhagat Singh, another film based on Shaheed Bhagat Singh. 23 March 1931: Shaheed was a box office failure. In the year 2003, he produced and directed a supernatural thriller Hawa, featuring Tabu. The film was heavily inspired from Hollywood film The Entity and received poor reviews. He shot his 2003 film Jaal: the trap in Himanchal Pradesh. During the shooting of this film Indian actor Amrish Puri had a serious accident which caused serious injury to his face and eyes. Mr Dhanoa has been signed to direct the Hindi remake of Tamil Film S3 (also known as Singam 3). Thakur Anoop Singh is also on board to play the main lead.
|1992||Deewana (1992 film)||Yes|
|1996||Tu Chor Main Sipahi||Yes|
|2002||23rd March 1931: Shaheed||Yes|
|2011||The Lion of Punjab||Yes|
- Deol, Sunny; Tandon, Raveena; Kher, Anupam; Vidyarthi, Ashish (11 April 1997), Ziddi, retrieved 19 May 2017
- Deol, Bobby; Mukerji, Rani; Vidyarthi, Ashish; Jalal, Farida (7 July 2000), Bichhoo, retrieved 19 May 2017
- "Sunny Deol: Action in Bollywood a little larger than life". mid-day. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "Bobby Deol to make a comeback with Bichhoo 2". Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "Birthday boy Dharmendra on his love affair with cinema". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Would BIG BROTHER be Sunny Deol's 21st century ZIDDI? - bollywood news : glamsham.com". www.glamsham.com. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "SRKs Deewana to be made into a sequel". Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- Tuteja, Joginder (12 April 2020). "Much Before Rohit Shetty, THIS Sunny Deol Super-Hit Entertainer Had The Most Explosive Action Featuring Flying Cars".
- World, Republic. "Akshay Kumar's character in 'Aflatoon' was inspired by Jack Nicholson? Know more facts". Republic World.
- "RANI AND PREITY ARE CLOSEST TO ME | Latest News & Updates at DNAIndia.com". DNA India.
- Hungama, Bollywood (21 May 2014). "Bobby Deol to star in Bichhoo sequel : Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama".
- "When Sunny Deol wanted Bobby Deol and not Ajay Devgn to play the titular role in The Legend Of Bhagat Singh | PINKVILLA". www.pinkvilla.com.
- "'Hawa': Tabu is the sole saving grace". www.rediff.com.
- "Hail Mogambo! All about late Amrish Puri's journey in Bollywood". filmfare.com.
- "EXCLUSIVE: SRK's Deewana producer Guddu Dhanoa to direct Thakur Anoop Singh in Hindi remake of Singam 3". PINKVILLA.
- "Deewana producer Guddu Dhanoa: Rishi Kapoor was one of the reasons Shah Rukh Khan came on board". Mumbai Mirror.
- World, Republic. "Sunny Deol: Best Bollywood dance numbers of the actor-director". Republic World.
- "When New Zealand played host to Bollywood". Rediff.