24 Claypotts Road
|Local authority||Dundee City Council|
|Colour(s)||Blue and White|
Grove Academy was established in 1889. In 2007, construction began on completely new buildings on the site of the Extension Buildings and huts. The buildings were designed by the Holmes Partnership built under a public-private partnership. It is maintained by the Robertson Facilities Management. An equity stake in the school is retained by private investors. Phase 1 opened 2008 and Phase 2 opened in November 2009. The new school was completed and formally opened on 2 March 2010 by the First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond.
Of all the schools in Scotland, Grove is one of the highest achieving in terms of academic success. It is placed in the top 30 across the country, an improvement on its placement in the 100s during the 90s.
In 2004, the school was the best performing in Dundee, with 52% of S4 pupils achieving five or more credit level standard grades, 31% of S5s gaining three or more highers and 51% of S6s leaving with three or more highers.
2006 saw the number of S4 pupils achieving five or more standard grade credit level awards in S4 rising from 45% to 58%, the Scottish average being 30%. Grove Academy also reported increases in the number of S6 pupils achieving three or more highers with 48%.
In 2008, Grove Academy led Dundee's exam result attainment, beating the national average in every category. 76% of pupils went on to higher and further education, with 29% of pupils gaining awards at level seven. The results were one of the biggest exam result improvements in Scotland and it has the highest proportion of pupils going on to university, 36%.
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (June 2020)
- Colin Campbell, Lord Malcolm, lawyer and judge
- Alan Cochrane, editor
- W. N. Herbert, poet
- Alastair Johnston, businessman
- James Meek, author
- Lewis Moonie, politician
- G. C. Peden, emeritus professor of history at Stirling University
- James Skea, academic
- David Robertson, former broadcaster and newsreader
- George Thomson, journalist and politician
- Sir Thomas Winsor, lawyer, economic regulatory professional and chief inspector of constabulary
- Gordon Chree, reporter
- "Senior Leadership Team". Grove Academy. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "History". Grove Academy. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- Robertson Facilities Management's page about Grove Academy Archived 21 April 2013 at archive.today
- Opening of new school by Alex Salmond Archived 7 March 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- *Argo, Andrew. "Dundee schools - poor report card" Archived 24 December 2004 at the Wayback Machine, The Evening Telegraph, 14 December 2004.
- *Watson, Laurie. Wilson, Alan "Dundee schools improve - but still below average" Archived 8 January 2007 at the Wayback Machine, The Evening Telegraph, 14 December 2006.
- *Dowie, Mark. "Star performers and stragglers in Angus, Tayside and Perthshire", Aberdeen Press & Journal, 12 December 2008.
- *Smith, Grant. "Grove shows up well on new schools website" Archived 1 December 2008 at the Wayback Machine, The Evening Telegraph, 12 December 2008.