|Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex -|
First Assault Online
|Series||Ghost in the Shell|
|Release||July 1, 2017|
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - First Assault Online (Korean: 공각기동대 온라인; Japanese: 攻殻機動隊ONLINE), also known simply as First Assault, was a free-to-play online first person shooter video game developed by South Korean developer Neople and published by Nexon. It was one of adaptations of the anime series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - First Assault Online was based on the universe of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The game featured a cyborg customization feature which supported 5,000 different layouts. Players were able to share skills with nearby allies, allowing players to strategically support others, in addition to using thermoptic camouflage and power armor, and controlling various mecha. There were PvE and PvP modes. Attributes could be used to customise the player's character include power, which granted weapons, stealth (used for invisibility), detection (reconnaissance drones), and "support" which gave the ability to construct turrets.
The game began development in September 2011 by the same development team responsible for Dungeon Fighter Online, using the Gamebryo engine. In 2012, game publisher Nexon secured the rights to a Stand Alone Complex game from Kodansha. In 2013, Nexon planned to release the game in the first half of 2014. The first trailer for the game was unveiled during the G-STAR 2014 game exhibition in Busan. The title was revealed as Ghost in the Shell: First Connection Online. At the exhibition, representatives of Neople stated that the game will preserve the atmosphere of the original anime series as closely as possible. In 2015, the final title was revealed as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - First Assault Online.
A closed beta ran from October 1, 2015, to October 5, 2015. First Assault Online was released on Steam as an early access title on December 14, 2015. The game entered open beta on July 28, 2016. The game's public beta ended on July 1, 2017. There were six official servers in 1.0 and 5 by 2.0 (two of the servers merged due to lack of player base): America Empire East, America Empire West, European Union (Previously EU East and West in 1.0), Australia, South America. There was also a Japanese version of the game which had its own servers and development (some additional features were introduced such as clans and weapon rental). There was no support for LAN or private servers.
First Assault Online was due for a 2017 worldwide release on Steam, but due to the developers rooted dissatisfaction with the game, both the Japanese and worldwide versions were discontinued. The game discontinued service in Japan on November 29, 2017. Item sales ended on September 6. Players with unused consumable items by November 29 were compensated with Nexon Points on December 13. It was announced on August 21 that the worldwide version would follow its Japanese counterpart and be discontinued. Upon notice of the discontinuation, all sales of DLC and in-game items ceased immediately. However, all weapons and attachments that could be purchased with in-game currency were lowered in price by 99%. The worldwide version officially closed on December 6, 2017.
PC Gamer's Andy Kelly described an early iteration of the early access game as "a fairly basic FPS" and criticized interface elements and the choice to make a squad-based shooter instead of a role-playing game, though he praised First Assault Online's fidelity towards the anime.
- Ollie Barder (November 20, 2014). "'Ghost In The Shell Online' FPS Finally Revealed". Forbes. Archived from the original on November 21, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Ghost in the Shell Online Shooter Game Previewed in Trailer". Anime News Network. November 21, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Ghost in the Shell Online Will Have Cyborg Customization". Siliconera. November 24, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "［G-Star 2014］攻殻機動隊を題材にしたFPS「GHOST IN THE SHELL ONLINE」のムービーが初公開された発表会の模様をレポート". 4gamer (in Japanese). November 21, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "넥슨, FPS 신작 '공각기동대' 2014년 상반기 공개". Inven (in Korean). February 12, 2013. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "'공각기동대 온라인', 애니 맛 그대로". ZDNet Korea (in Korean). November 20, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- Jef Reahard (December 14, 2012). "Nexon partnering with Kodansha for Ghost in the Shell online title". Joystiq. Archived from the original on January 28, 2015. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Ghost in the Shell Online Game to be 'Hacking FPS'". Anime News Network. 12 February 2013. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- "공각기동대 온라인, 플레이영상 공개". GameInsight (in Korean). November 20, 2014. Archived from the original on December 22, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Ghost in the Shell First Assault Online Shooter Game's English Gameplay Trailer Streamed". Anime News Network. 17 September 2015. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- Administrator, CM_Tachikuddles (4 October 2015). "CBT Extended to Monday, OCT 5 @ 10 AM PDT". Vanilla Forums. CM Tachikuddles. Archived from the original on 5 October 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Now Available on Steam Early Access - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - First Assault Online". Valve. 14 December 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- @First_Assault (28 July 2016). "PLAY FREE NOW! Open Beta has officially gone live for First Assault!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "The free-to-play Ghost in the Shell FPS is shutting down later this year". PCGamesN. 24 August 2017. Retrieved 19 January 2020.
- "Ghost in the Shell First Assault Online Game Shuts Down in Japan in November". Anime News Network. August 10, 2017. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- "NEXON ANNOUNCES CLOSURE OF FIRST ASSAULT IN AMERICAS, EUROPE, AND OCEANIA". MMO Bomb. August 22, 2017. Retrieved August 23, 2017.
- Kelly, Andy (15 December 2015). "Is that new Ghost in the Shell game any good?". PC Gamer. Future plc. Retrieved 2 June 2015.