|George Washington High School|
655 South Monaco Parkway
|Motto||We Are Patriot Strong|
|School district||Denver Public Schools|
|NCES School ID||080336000352|
|Teaching staff||69.38 (on a FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||17.86|
|Color(s)||Green and white|
|Athletics conference||Denver Prep League|
A view of the south lobby entrance to George Washington High School
The demographic breakdown of the 1,182 students enrolled in 2019-20 was:
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.4%
- Asian - 4.9%
- Black - 22.5%
- Hispanic - 28.5%
- White - 37.9%
- Multiracial - 5.58%
- Native Hawaiian or Other - 0.2%
The demographic breakdown of the 1,424 students enrolled in 2013-14 was:
- Male - 45.3%
- Female - 54.7%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.5%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 5.5%
- Black - 30.5%
- Hispanic - 31.5%
- White - 27.2%
- Multiracial - 4.8%
The George Washington High School boys basketball team plays in the Colorado High School Activities Association 5A class. In both 2017 and 2018, GW boys basketball was the Colorado state tournament runner-up.
The school newspaper is The George Washington Surveyor, which is part of the High School National Ad Network. The paper got its name from president George Washington's lifelong association with geography and cartography. The Surveyor was the winner of the National Pacemaker Award from the National Scholastic Press Association in 2007, 2008, and 2009.
George Washington's robotics functions through FIRST Robotics, with the FIRST Robotics Competition team 1410 (founded 2004 as the Patriotbots, rebranded in 2008 as The Kraken), and FIRST Tech Challenge teams 17153 (founded 2019), 18677(founded 2020), 18678(founded 2020). The Kraken has won 3 regionals and 10 awards.
Speech And Debate
The George Washington Speech And Debate team consists of over 150 students, and is ranked in the Top 10 in the nation in 2020 by the National Speech and Debate Association.
- Chauncey Billups, NBA player, NBA Finals MVP with the Detroit Pistons
- Sierra Boggess, theatre actress and singer
- Chris Brewer, professional football player
- Doug DeMuro, YouTube car journalist
- Anita Diamant, author of The Red Tent and other fiction and non-fiction books
- Sharon R. Long, plant biologist
- Ostell Miles, football player
- Martin Moran, Broadway actor and author of The Tricky Part
- Greg Primus, former NFL player for the Chicago Bears
- Dianne Reeves, jazz vocalist, winner of Grammy Award for Best Jazz Vocal Album in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2006
- Ed Smith, former NFL player for the Denver Broncos
- GEORGE WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for George Washington High School". nces.ed.gov. US Department of Education. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Inequity at GWHS". GWHS. Retrieved 2020-12-29.
- Cochi, Brad (March 11, 2017). "Eaglecrest wins thrilling back-and-forth 5A boys basketball championship game". CHSSA Now. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- Kosmider, Nick (March 10, 2018). "Grandview captures first boys basketball state championship, completes school's 5A sweep". Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- "NSPA - Contest Winners". Studentpress.org. Archived from the original on 2012-09-30. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "FRC Event Web: Team 1410". First Inspires. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- "FIRST Robotics Team 1410 - Release The Kraken!". Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- "Rankings". National Speech and Debate Association. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Chauncey Billups Biography". JockBio. 1976-09-25. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- ""Mermaid" star visits school that set her dreams afloat". The Denver Post. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Birnbaum, Robert (2007-11-13). "Dianne Reeves". The Morning News. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Ramsey, David (March 31, 2009). "Opinion: Former Bronco learned the game at CC". The Gazette. Retrieved September 30, 2015.