|Birth name||Gary Wayne Holt|
|Born||May 4, 1964|
San Pablo, California, U.S.
|Labels||Combat, Capitol, Nuclear Blast|
|Associated acts||Exodus, Slayer, Metal Allegiance|
Gary Wayne Holt (born May 4, 1964) is an American musician from the San Francisco Bay Area. He is a guitarist, bandleader, and main songwriter for thrash metal band Exodus and was a member of Slayer from 2011 to 2019, replacing Jeff Hanneman following his death in May 2013.
After guitarist Tim Agnello left Exodus in 1981, Holt joined the band and has been the main songwriter and the most senior member of the group ever since. Following Kirk Hammett's 1983 departure from Exodus to join Metallica, Holt kept the band going and for many years, he and Rick Hunolt were referred to as the Exodus' "H-Team" guitar players. Holt is the only member of Exodus who has played on every album.
On February 12, 2011, it was announced that Holt would be temporarily filling in for Jeff Hanneman in the band Slayer. Holt also played with Slayer for the Big 4 Concert in Indio, California on April 23, 2011, as well as Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin, Texas on November 6, 2011. Holt was later confirmed to be a permanent member of Slayer, following Hanneman's death on May 2, 2013, and stayed with the band until their split, following the conclusion of their 2018–2019 farewell tour. He also recorded guitar tracks on Slayer's 2015 album Repentless, but did not have any writing contributions on the album, except for guitar solos.
In October 2008, Holt released an instructional guitar video called "A Lesson in Guitar Violence". He also produced Warbringer's second album, Waking into Nightmares. In 2019 he was included on "Cheapside Sloggers", a song on Volbeat's Rewind, Replay, Rebound.
Holt endorses ESP Guitars as of September 2014 and has a signature version of the Eclipse model, ending his relationship with Schecter Guitar Research, where he previously had various signature models. He has also used Ibanez, B.C. Rich, Jackson Guitars, Bernie Rico Jr., and Yamaha guitars.
For amplification, he currently uses a Marshall Silver Jubilee in Slayer and an ENGL Savage 120 in Exodus as well as a Kemper Profiling amp. In the past, he has used a modified Marshall JCM800, Mesa Boogie Mark III, Marshall JVM, Peavey Triple XXX, and ENGL Savage 120. Before using the Silver Jubilee, DSL100H and Marshall JVM amps with Slayer, Holt made use of Jeff Hanneman's touring rack.
Holt's main guitar influences are Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Schenker, Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Uli Jon Roth, Matthias Jabs and Ted Nugent. His favorite bands include Venom, Motörhead, Black Sabbath, early Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.
According to Holt, the track "War Is my Shepherd" on the album Tempo of the Damned is a treatise of America's "pro-God" and "pro-war" stance and how he feels the two beliefs are incompatible with each other.
Holt endorsed Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election, stating, "I used to have a lot of respect for McCain, but he realized after the dirty defeat that he suffered at the hands of George W. Bush in the South Carolina primary in the (2000) election that he can only get elected if he plays the Karl Rove tactic b.s. He's doing it. It's just one debunked lie after the other. He's the kind of guy who will tell you the sky is red, you look up and it's blue, and he won't admit he's wrong. He's playing dirty politics. Palin is just terrifying, the thought of this lady being a heart attack away from having the nuclear codes. She's crazy and she's dumb."
In the 2004 election, Holt vouched for John Kerry, but conceded that "they're all dirty crooks, all politicians. But at least (Kerry) wasn't a coward. He fought in Vietnam whereas George W. Bush Jr. was a draft dodger."
On December 17, 2018 his father Billie Charles Holt (born July 6, 1933) died.
- 1982 1982 Demo
- 1985 Bonded By Blood
- 1987 Pleasures of the Flesh
- 1989 Fabulous Disaster
- 1990 Impact Is Imminent
- 1991 Good Friendly Violent Fun
- 1992 Lessons in Violence
- 1992 Force of Habit
- 1997 Another Lesson in Violence
- 2004 Tempo of the Damned
- 2005 Shovel Headed Kill Machine
- 2007 The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A
- 2008 Let There Be Blood
- 2010 Exhibit B: The Human Condition
- 2014 Blood In, Blood Out
- 1990 Asylum (Demo)
- 2008 D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N.
- 2005 Virus
- 1990 Demo 1990 (Demo)
- 2015 – Metal Allegiance [Gift of Pain]
- 1991 Epidemic
- 1998 Under (EP)
- 2010 Witchkrieg
- "GARY HOLT: I Am 'Forever Honored To Have Been A Part Of' SLAYER". Blabbermouth.net. December 2, 2019. Retrieved December 2, 2019.
- "Kerry King: 'Fans Aren't Ready for Gary Holt to Contribute Music to Slayer' | Music News @". Ultimate-guitar.com. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "Warbringer Waking into Nightmares Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved May 18, 2021.
- Kaufman, Spencer (July 18, 2019). "Kids take over for Volbeat in video for new song "Cheapside Sloggers" featuring Slayer's Gary Holt: Watch". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved May 18, 2021.
-  Archived October 23, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Michael Schenker - Metal Master Kingdom Interview". metalmasterkingdom.com. January 17, 2018. Retrieved August 19, 2018.
- "Gary Holt Interview – Exodus Interview". Heavymetal.about.com. Archived from the original on August 6, 2010. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "Interview with Guitarist of EXODUS – GARY HOLT". Metal-Rules.com. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "SLAYER's TOM ARAYA: America Has Become 'A Nation Of Crybabies'". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. April 17, 2017.
- Hartmann, Graham (April 8, 2015). "Exodus / Slayer's Gary Holt - Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction". Loudwire. Retrieved November 18, 2016.
- Meltdown (May 23, 2018). "Radio Chatter with Slayer/Exodus guitarist Gary Holt" (Podcast). WRIF. Event occurs at 18:08-19:12. Archived from the original on June 10, 2018. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
- "Gary Holt on Instagram: "Today I lost my hero, the greatest man I've ever known or will know. Billie Charles Holt passed away this evening, with my mom and all his…"". Instagram.
- "EXODUS/SLAYER Guitarist GARY HOLT Says He Is Exhibiting 'All The Symptoms' Of COVID-19". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved March 18, 2020.
- "EXODUS/SLAYER Guitarist GARY HOLT Officially Tests Positive For COVID-19". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved April 1, 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gary Holt (musician).|